Question Display turns on after good few minutes when i start my PC.

Aug 9, 2020
Hello there!

I hope you guys well!

I have a strange problem with my PC setup. When i turn on my PC the coolers, lamps, etc turns on but my monitor and my keyboard (maybe mouse as well not sure) does not for a good few minutes.. its about 5-10. Then when it turns on the booting process starts just as normal and within seconds the windows up and running and then PC works well.

I assume something is dying but also could be a cable issue or some contacts i dont know. Do you guys think can be GPU problem? I tell you why think because back in about 6-7 months my GPU was working also strange. It does working okay but when i was play some games (i almost dont play anything anymore) is randomly froze sometimes, my games was still up and running i could hear sound in a background or do anything "blinded" in the game but the screen was stuck. Then i could solve this problem after freaking long search with MSI Afterburner. The solution was i had to set the GPU core clock MHz back to -34 then was working hours and no stuck or freeze at all.

I should change my PC because its getting a bit old, but what it for its more then enough. Its about 4-5 years old and the specs are:

-MOBO: Ashrock Fatality Z87 Killer
-CPU: Intel i7 4770K
-RAM: Corsair 3000 OC+ 16GB Ram
-GPU: EVGA Geforce 780 GTX Titan
-SDD: 2x SDD: Samsung EVO 240GB, Corsair Neutron 120GB
-PSU: Corsair Silentpipe 750W

Wish you guys a lovely day in this hot summer.
Best regards
Peter

Your pc is still relevant.
If you are a gamer, a stronger graphics card may be in order.If your pc works well after the lengthy boot up, then, I really doubt it is dying.
As a basic test of functionality
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Is there an option in the bios to test ram before startup?
If so, turn that off.
Do you have an unused device like a dvd player installed?It can take a while for the motherboard to decide that there is no device there and continue the startup.

Is your C drive near full?
A SSD can slow down if so.

Is your ram all from the same kit?
The motherboard may be taking extra time to find a ram setting that works.

Lastly, do not power off.
Use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead.
Sleep will but your pc and monitor into a very low powered state, similar to a full power off.
Sleep/wake should be only a matter of seconds.

Aug 9, 2020
Your pc is still relevant.
If you are a gamer, a stronger graphics card may be in order.If your pc works well after the lengthy boot up, then, I really doubt it is dying.
As a basic test of functionality
Run memtest86.
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Is there an option in the bios to test ram before startup?
If so, turn that off.
Do you have an unused device like a dvd player installed?It can take a while for the motherboard to decide that there is no device there and continue the startup.

Is your C drive near full?
A SSD can slow down if so.

Is your ram all from the same kit?
The motherboard may be taking extra time to find a ram setting that works.

Lastly, do not power off.
Use sleep to ram(no hibernate) instead.
Sleep will but your pc and monitor into a very low powered state, similar to a full power off.
Sleep/wake should be only a matter of seconds.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I was use to be gaming a bit not almost nothing anymore thats why i didnt change my GPU.

I did ran already full test with memtest86. Also try to put in one by one stick. Same thing happens.
Yes my RAM's from same kit and actually one of the MOBO company suggested.

I dont think there is an option test ram before startup but i am not sure.
I tried to uninstall every SSD, HDD before then start it but same thing happens.

My windows SSD its about 85% full but i dont think its the issue cos as i said doing the same thing when i disconnect it. When i start it happens everything before the MOBO loads the bios, then after sometime 5-10 min bios come up and initializing ram, ssd, hdd etc. (i dont know if it turns everytime ON in the same way or just dont turn on at all sometimes)

Lastly i never turn off my PC not even sleep mode especially since this is happening but also before i was always use to keep it ON because i work from home so this way its easier.

Thanks again
Peter

Reading the description of your motherboard,The maximum overclocked ram speed is 3050.
I suspect what is happening is that the motherboard can not run at a specified 3000 speed and is trying settings thahat will work.
CPU-Z will tell you what is possible and what is currently running.
Your processor does not benefit from high ram speeds.
High speeds are impacted by higher latencies, negating much of the speed benefit.
Back off to a lower speed.
You may find this article on speeds relevant:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

Aug 9, 2020
Reading the description of your motherboard,The maximum overclocked ram speed is 3050.
I suspect what is happening is that the motherboard can not run at a specified 3000 speed and is trying settings thahat will work.
CPU-Z will tell you what is possible and what is currently running.
Your processor does not benefit from high ram speeds.
High speeds are impacted by higher latencies, negating much of the speed benefit.
Back off to a lower speed.
You may find this article on speeds relevant:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

You may totally right and i will try it after the next restart.

I am just about to open a e-commerce webshop and doing only the last little things to be ready, so i need to try to not get restart now. Dont get me wrong i have a laptop also but you know how is it works, everything in this pc also programming, photoshopping etc would be annoying as af. Murphy still working on RNG :)

In the meantime i will check with CPU-Z tomorrow.

To be honest its still weird cos at the time when i bought the board i checked the MOBO manual and i bought exactly the same kit what they was suggested the most if i not mistaken or the shop didnt mixed up. But also it was working perfectly fine for at least 4 years. So why is it wont work now with the same setting..

I do very much appreciate you effort mate!
Thanks and regards

What might have changed since all was well 4 years ago?

Your graphics card and power supply are getting on in age.
In time, all things fail, and sometimes gradually.

My guess would be the power supply.
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

Since you have integrated graphics and do not game, try removing the graphics card and using integrated graphics.

Aug 9, 2020
What might have changed since all was well 4 years ago?

Your graphics card and power supply are getting on in age.
In time, all things fail, and sometimes gradually.

My guess would be the power supply.
See if you can't test with a known good psu.

Since you have integrated graphics and do not game, try removing the graphics card and using integrated graphics.

Thats actually a good point to try without GPU. Problem is i am so busy right now and dont want to turn off my PC in case wont turn on again but if it happens i will do i t. My guess was PSU as well or maybe MOBO but i dont have spare one so i need to buy one if i want to test it.

Thanks again i will come back to you with results when i have a change to test those things but right now is my webshop s priority.. its lunching within a week.

Nice day!

Aug 9, 2020
Thats actually a good point to try without GPU. Problem is i am so busy right now and dont want to turn off my PC in case wont turn on again but if it happens i will do i t. My guess was PSU as well or maybe MOBO but i dont have spare one so i need to buy one if i want to test it.

Thanks again i will come back to you with results when i have a change to test those things but right now is my webshop s priority.. its lunching within a week.

Nice day!

Hey,

little update

Got a real hard time to start my PC after a power cut (turned ON and OFF about 7-8 times then wait few min) so i took my change and tried to remove the GPU and plugged into the MOBO integrated one. I didnt reset the BIOS because i forgot but the problem remains the same. As far as i know if there is no GPU installed into the MOBO it automatically switch back to the integrated one. Am i right?

If so, then the conclusion is not the GPU unless you need to reset BIOS for it. About the PSU, yes is suspicious but also sounds weird for me cos sometimes working other times not?

Thanks