[SOLVED] Display USB ports 'freezing' during use

gewl

Reputable
May 3, 2018
Hey, I'm using a Gigabyte M27Q. Over the past couple months I've run my keyboard USB cables to one of the M27Q's 2.0 ports. Sometimes (more and more, I think), the keyboard will sort of 'freeze' as if the USB disconnected and whatever my last keystroke was will continue being spammed to my computer (including modifier keys). Sometimes this fixes itself after a moment, sometimes it seems to require me to unplug and replug the keyboard's USB cable before the keyboard will stop 'sending' the erroneous keystroke and will become responsive to actual keypresses again.

I've tested this with multiple keyboards and behavior has not changed, so I don't believe it's that. It also seems to happen regardless of what I'm actually doing on my PC, so I don't think it's software-sensitive, but I may just not have repro on whatever confluence of things is producing this behavior.

Has anyone run into this, and does anyone know of a fix?

Thank you!

Lutfij

Titan
The display has 2x USB3.0 ports, not USB2.0. That being said, which port is the monitor's upstream port tethered to on the motherboard? what is the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you working with? For the sake of relevance, please mention the make and models of the keyboards used.

gewl

Reputable
May 3, 2018
The display has 2x USB3.0 ports, not USB2.0. That being said, which port is the monitor's upstream port tethered to on the motherboard? what is the make and model of your motherboard? BIOS version for your motherboard at the time of writing? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you working with? For the sake of relevance, please mention the make and models of the keyboards used.
Upstream port: USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A
Mobo: MSI B550-A Pro
BIOS version: A.51
Windows 10 version: 20H2

I've tested it with two Filci Majestouch 2s and one Kinesis Gaming Freestyle Edge RGB, no observed difference in behavior between keyboards.

The very first test here would be to plug keyboard directly to PC and see if the issue persists.
I've tested this a number of times over the past couple months and have not been able to repro when plugged directly in. I also did not have the problem before I switched to routing through my M27Q's ports, but I can't absolutely say that I don't get the problem when directly connected because I don't have consistent repro.