Display WinXP Product Key, Not IE's Key

I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it reported
was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought that
I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that return
the correct product key?

Thanks
Brian

Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker on the
machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be different.

--
Walter Clayton

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
> through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
> AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it reported
> was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought that
> I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
> thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that return
> the correct product key?
>
> Thanks
> Brian

I was trying to download MS AntiSpyware beta. MS wanted to "validate"
that I have a legal copy of Windows. When I typed in the key reported
by Keyfinder et. al., MS said that it was an invalid key. Not good.

"Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
> Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker on
the
> machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be different.
>
> --
> Walter Clayton
> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
advanced.

> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> >I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
> > through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
> > AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it
reported
> > was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought
that
> > I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
> > thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that
return
> > the correct product key?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brian

I was not aware that IE6 had a product key.

>I was trying to download MS AntiSpyware beta. MS wanted to "validate"
> that I have a legal copy of Windows. When I typed in the key reported
> by Keyfinder et. al., MS said that it was an invalid key. Not good.
>
> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
>> Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker on
> the
>> machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be different.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
> advanced.
>>

>> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>> >I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
>> > through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
>> > AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it
> reported
>> > was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought
> that
>> > I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
>> > thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that
> return
>> > the correct product key?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Brian

Additional Note: If you have Office products on your computer you may be
looking at one of those. The standard Keyfinder only shows Windows, but
there is a beta 3 of the next release of Keyfinder on the same site that
does show Office product keys as well as Windows. If you downloaded the
beta 3, then you may need to cycle through the product keys until you come
to Windows. Look at the Keyfinder tool and see if this is so.

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>I was trying to download MS AntiSpyware beta. MS wanted to "validate"
> that I have a legal copy of Windows. When I typed in the key reported
> by Keyfinder et. al., MS said that it was an invalid key. Not good.
>
> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
>> Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker on
> the
>> machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be different.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
> advanced.
>>

>> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>> >I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
>> > through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
>> > AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it
> reported
>> > was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought
> that
>> > I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
>> > thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that
> return
>> > the correct product key?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Brian

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
|I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
| through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
| AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it reported
| was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought that
| I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
| thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that return
| the correct product key?
|
| Thanks
| Brian

OEM Computer manufacturers use a "master" image to load system harddrives.
All systems loaded with the same master will show the same product key. That
is the number that MJ & other Keyfinders report, and as you've seen it won't
work for
validation when downloading Microsoft products which require it, nor will it
work as the key for reinstalling Windows.

The number on the sticker on the
side of your computer is "your" product key.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> I was trying to download MS AntiSpyware beta. MS wanted to "validate"
> that I have a legal copy of Windows.

If you look again at the Microsoft page , you can choose to download anyway
:-

===============================

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/winGenuineDecision.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

Yes, please validate Windows and take me to the download. (If an ActiveX
dialog box appears, please click Yes.)
No, do not validate Windows at this time, but take me to the download.

==============================

I've just given it so someone on a CD - hope it works !

:)

When I typed in the key reported
> by Keyfinder et. al., MS said that it was an invalid key. Not good.
>

> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
> > Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker on
> the
> > machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be different.
> >
> > --
> > Walter Clayton
> > Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
> advanced.
> >

> > "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> > >I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
> > > through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
> > > AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it
> reported
> > > was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought
> that
> > > I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
> > > thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that
> return
> > > the correct product key?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Brian

Other's have explained the discrepancy on the product key. However,
Microsoft doesn't ask for the CD key not at the site you mentioned nor at
any other public site, it would expose the keys to theft.

The verification process, if you elect to run the process from the site,
rather than install the control, it puts you through several steps and then
generates a code and it is that code for which it is asking. If you were
asked for the CD key, the site was bogus.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>I was trying to download MS AntiSpyware beta. MS wanted to "validate"
> that I have a legal copy of Windows. When I typed in the key reported
> by Keyfinder et. al., MS said that it was an invalid key. Not good.
>
> "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
>> Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker on
> the
>> machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be different.
>>
>> --
>> Walter Clayton
>> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
> advanced.
>>

>> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
>> >I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
>> > through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
>> > AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it
> reported
>> > was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought
> that
>> > I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
>> > thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that
> return
>> > the correct product key?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > Brian

Sorry. It's the new (beta) process on the Microsoft site. I went to
http://www.microsoft.com. Clicked on Download. Clicked on Windows
AntiSpyware (Beta). Clicked on Continue to start the download. To see
what would happen I selected Yes validate and clicked Continue. At
this point it asked me for the Product Key.

I've heard from sources inside of MS that this is currently a beta of
their new process. Semi-random downloaders are being asked for the
product key. When this mess goes gold, everyone will be required to
provide their product key. It will not be optional. That's what I've
been told.

Brian

> Other's have explained the discrepancy on the product key. However,
> Microsoft doesn't ask for the CD key not at the site you mentioned
nor at
> any other public site, it would expose the keys to theft.
>
> The verification process, if you elect to run the process from the
site,
> rather than install the control, it puts you through several steps
and then
> generates a code and it is that code for which it is asking. If you
were
> asked for the CD key, the site was bogus.
>
> --
> Michael Solomon MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
> https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/communities/mvp.aspx
> Backup is a PC User's Best Friend
> DTS-L.Org: http://www.dts-l.org/
>

> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> >I was trying to download MS AntiSpyware beta. MS wanted to
"validate"
> > that I have a legal copy of Windows. When I typed in the key
reported
> > by Keyfinder et. al., MS said that it was an invalid key. Not
good.

> > "Walter Clayton" <w-claytonNO@SPmvpsAM.org> wrote in message
> >> Are you comparing the reported key against the key on the sticker
on
> > the
> >> machine? If so, then it's not unusual for the two to be
different.

> >> --
> >> Walter Clayton
> >> Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently
> > advanced.
> >>

> >> "bxb7668" <bxb7668@somewhere.nocom> wrote in message
> > reported
> > that
> > return

I just ran the same process just before I posted in this thread, it
specifically asked to input "Product Verification Key." If you don't
download the active x control which allows verification in the background,
you have the option to run it from the site. The utility creates a product
verification key and it is that key that it asks you to input.

Did it say CD key or Product Verification Key? It's not even a secure site.
Beta or not, I can't believe, knowing how insecure the web is, they would
ask you to input your CD key and that was not what I saw when I ran through
the very same process you describe and had the same prompt for product
verification.

--

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> I was not aware that IE6 had a product key.

IE doesn't have a Product Key of it's own, per se, but the various
Product Key viewers will report IE6's Product Key, which just happens to
be the same Product Key that was used to install WinXP, of which IE is a
component.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

bxb7668 wrote:
> I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
> through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
> AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it reported
> was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought that
> I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
> thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that return
> the correct product key?
>
> Thanks
> Brian

IE doesn't have a Product Key of it's own, per se, but the various
Product Key viewers will report IE6's Product Key, which just happens to
be the same Product Key that was used to install WinXP, of which IE is a
component.

If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the drive
image used at the factory and not your specific Product Key; therefore,
it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for
validation.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

It was a rhetorical question of sorts. But thanks, Bruce.

> bxb7668 wrote:
> > I needed my Win XP Home product key today and didn't want to dig
> > through the boxes to find it. So I tried Keyfinder and Belarc and
> > AIDA32. All of them reported the wrong key. The key that it
reported
> > was for Internet Explorer 6, not Windows XP Home. Just thought
that
> > I'd post my experience and see if anyone else has noticed the same
> > thing. For that matter, are there any other free tools that
return
> > the correct product key?
> >
> > Thanks
> > Brian
> >

> IE doesn't have a Product Key of it's own, per se, but the
various
> Product Key viewers will report IE6's Product Key, which just
happens to
> be the same Product Key that was used to install WinXP, of which IE
is a
> component.
>
> If you have a factory-installed OEM license, and haven't since
> reinstalled the OS, the revealed Product Key is probably of the
drive
> image used at the factory and not your specific Product Key;
therefore,
> it probably cannot be -- and definitely should not be -- used for
> validation.

Thanks for the explanation Bruce. I haven't worked with an OEM install
for years. I checked a retail licensed PC and it shows the Product Key
correctly. We should remember to mention this to the posters asking
about Product Keys. The factory-installed OEM license would not
validate.

Brian

bxb7668 wrote:

> Thanks for the explanation Bruce. I haven't worked with an OEM install
> for years. I checked a retail licensed PC and it shows the Product Key
> correctly. We should remember to mention this to the posters asking
> about Product Keys. The factory-installed OEM license would not
> validate.
>
> Brian

You're welcome.

--