Question Display won't pick up new Graphics Card OR old on-board graphics when new GPU is installed, but will when GPU is taken out (GPU tested and working)

Sep 29, 2019
Really specific seeming issue:
This system used integrated graphics from a Ryzen 5 2400G for the longest time, until somebody gave their old GTX 960. The 960 is tested and working, but I also tested the system with a 1060 as well and the same problems happen.

Without any card installed into the PCIE slot (and unplugged from the PSU of course,) the system runs just fine (displays properly.)

However, when installed, regardless of whether I use the display outputs from the Graphics Card OR EVEN the display outputs from the original on board graphics, nothing shows up on the monitor.

To clarify, when the card is installed, I cant even use the on board graphics anymore.

It works without a Graohics Card, but as soon as I put on in, it boots up, I hear the on boar dspeaker "boot up" noise, the LEDs turn on, etc. but there's no display.

With the card installed and the display connected to the card outputs, nothing on the monitor happens at all, BUT, with the card installed and the display connected to the ON BOARD outputs (like it is when there's no card installed, and, again, works without a card installed) the monitor in the top left corner flashes "Digital" then "Analog" then "Digital" then "Analog" a few times over, and turns off.

It's so weird and hard to look up that I've resorted to making a new forum post about it.

I updated the BIOS today, that wasn't the issue.

Specs:
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-A320M-S2H
CPU (APU): AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
PSU: Corsair CX 550M

I don't think any other specs would matter, besides maybe 16 gigs of RAM.

EDIT: important to note:
The monitor works,
The Graphics Card works,
The system works when using the APU's graphics,
The system turns on with the Graphics Card installed,
The system DOES NOT display anything with the Graphics Card installed, even from the APU display ports.
I have updated the BIOS.
I have turned it off and on many times.
I have tried 2 different graphics cards.

Sep 29, 2019
got the pcie power plug in?
yup

if the fans on the card activate, that means the cord isnt a dud right? because I did actually have to get a pcie power cord, so I suppose it could be a not working cord

if that would even explain it not displaying from on board graphics?

What is the display priority listing in UEFI? Typically, it's on AUTO. Could it be set to onboard vs. PEG for priority if both are installed? Also, what cable did you replace with for the PSU. If it's modular, is it a direct replacement for your specific PSU?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2019
What is the display priority listing in UEFI? Typically, it's on AUTO. Could it be set to onboard vs. PEG for priority if both are installed? Also, what cable did you replace with for the PSU. If it's modular, is it a direct replacement for your specific PSU?
I have to check display priority, but the cable was indeed a direct replacement, corsair specific. By a third party though, COMeap