[SOLVED] Display won't turn on AT ALL despite everything looking ready to go (yes I've tried plugging it into another monitor that is verified as working)

Esoterror

Commendable
Nov 14, 2020
Ok, so here's a real fun one for you. Got my PC here, home build, few years old now. I turn it on and all the lights turn on, mobo lights up, gpu fans ago, cpu fans running, psu running etc. No display whatsoever, I have a RUFUS usb and I can't even get it to boot a display using that. I've tried using the hdmi on my mobo and the hdmi on my gpu and neither are working, everything is plugged in. Only things I would think could be the issues are mobo, cpu, ram or ssd/hdd.

Mobo lighting up fine and running all other components, cpu fan is running but no way to test if the cpu is the issue, right? and it's the newest component. I've removed all ram but one stick that should be perfectly fine and same issue, can't be hdd/ ssd as if the others were running it should boot from RUFUS, note I don't even get to MOBO screen.

Oh yeah, of course I've tried plugging it into another monitor with another lead that is verified to be working, same problem. Completely stumped here ladies and gents.

PSU: powercool 750w
Mobo: AsRock Z170 Gaming K4 Skylake ATX Motherboard
GPU: SAPPHIRE AMD R9 280 Graphics Card (3GB, DDR5)
RAM- Crucible DDR4 (I think), 4x4gb.
SSD-Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5 Inch SATA III Internal SSD
HDD- Unsure but it shouldn't matter as it's just for storage not windows
CPU- Ryzen 5 that's compatible with the mobo but I'm afraid I don't have the exact model to hand
OS- Runs Windows 10 Home, standard, last updated around a month ago.

Last edited:
Solution
I would remove / reinstall the GPU and make sure the PCIE power connectors are good and snug (at least reseat or use a pin or paper clip to bend the contacts very slightly) or if you have another PC that has another PSU that can handle the R9 280 to swap/test it that would be a good next step

Ralston18

Titan
"few years old"

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS information.

Include PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition? Heavy gaming or video editing use? Or bit-mining?

Do you have access to another PSU that you can swap in?

Esoterror

Commendable
Nov 14, 2020
Thanks for the response.

I do not have access to another PSU unfortunately.

PSU, powercool- not sure of model beyond that tbh, 750w, around 2 years, condition should be good, fans always kept clean and it is booting the mobo etc fine, nothing seems to be struggling. Fairly heavy gaming with it too.

I would remove / reinstall the GPU and make sure the PCIE power connectors are good and snug (at least reseat or use a pin or paper clip to bend the contacts very slightly) or if you have another PC that has another PSU that can handle the R9 280 to swap/test it that would be a good next step

Solution