[SOLVED] Display won't turn on, is the panel dead ?

Vaisync

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2013
Hey guys,
I've taken out my old ultrawide monitor from storage cause I had some free time and I wanted to finally end the saga.

Back then when it went off, I remember I was getting a new table top for my desk, and I turned off the display and unplugged the power cable from the display.
When I plugged the display back in the display won't turn on at all - but it does have the LED light on ( I assume it gets power ).
Tried the same power adapter and HDMI cable on a different monitor and everything works.

Today I took off the back panel to see if there's any board damage of some sort. To my surprise - nothing. (not that I can see).
I've attached some pictures if there's maybe some people with more knowledge than me.

LG 29UM65

Any help will be appreciated,
Cheers.

1415825217_WhatsAppImage2020-10-29at13_10_14.thumb.jpeg.e7043b64d049ba03be53477a7dcc9ff1.jpeg

1080386581_WhatsAppImage2020-10-29at13_10_13.thumb.jpeg.50fc215027c2b0746d049f92d16b34b6.jpeg

Solution
The fact the LED is on suggests power is getting to the control board, however it may not be reaching the panel (or more specifically the back-light).

Do you have a multi-meter? You could potentially test to see if voltage is getting to the panel connectors (the panel looks like it takes a DC power input from an external adapter? In which case it should be safe enough, be very careful if it's a mains connection though).

The failure you have described doesn't sound like the panel to me - more likely a blown cap. You may want to take the control board out completely - there will invariably be components on the other side of it - as you say nothing obvious has failed on the rear side of the board.
The fact the LED is on suggests power is getting to the control board, however it may not be reaching the panel (or more specifically the back-light).

Do you have a multi-meter? You could potentially test to see if voltage is getting to the panel connectors (the panel looks like it takes a DC power input from an external adapter? In which case it should be safe enough, be very careful if it's a mains connection though).

The failure you have described doesn't sound like the panel to me - more likely a blown cap. You may want to take the control board out completely - there will invariably be components on the other side of it - as you say nothing obvious has failed on the rear side of the board.

Solution