Display won't work, Gtx1080

ariliteth

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Hello everyone. Recently lost my mobo and gpu, and got them replaced. I got a new mobo, and an RMA gpu.

Gpu: asus gtx 1080
Mobo: asrock z270 extreme4
Cpu: Intel core i7 6700

My system boots and works just fine with the gpu out, working off onboard graphics. If I try to boot with gpu installed and display plugged into it, it doesn't work.

I've run through the typical "system doesn't start" thread, I've updated my bios, I've updated my gpu drivers (using clean install option). Still nothing.

The lights and fans on the gpu do work.

When I look at the pci slot for the gpu in my bios, it reads as:
Function 0 nvidia corporation vga controller
Function 1 nvidia corporation HD audio device.

Is this gpu, the on I received for my rma, also dead? Or is there something I've missed?

Solution
You can try vga 1 slot again with the new cable that work in vga 2,
or using the old cable with vga 2
to see if the cable might be the problem. or it might just be a loose cable.

ariliteth

Commendable
May 18, 2016
I'm sorry, I'm a bit of a novice, and I'm not sure what you're asking. If you mean my bios, the only way I can boot is when it is set to onboard. The only other option is pci, and when that is selected and my monitor is plugged into my gpu, that's when I don't get the display on.

ariliteth

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Yeah, it has been a frustrating problem for sure. Both parts are new.

There are other pci-e lanes, obviously not the ones the mobo says should have the only gpu. I'll try that when I get home.

As for the psu, is it ruled out? Is it possible to use a different vga output and cable from that? Or is that inconsequential?

ariliteth

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Alright. When I get home, I will be trying:
1) a new vga cable to connect psu to gpu
2) a secondary pci-e lane

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll report the results later

4745454b

Titan
The two obvious things that come to mind. #1, you are using a passive digital to VGA adapter. Nvidia removed all analog outputs on the 10 series cards so if you are trying to use a DVI-I to VGA adapter for some reason it's not going to work. I doubt this is the issue though as you said this was an RMA GPU so I'm assuming you have a setup which used to work. #2, Your PSU requires you to use two separate power plugs and you are trying to use only one. I used to have the Antec EA750W and tried to use only one strand of wires to go to my GPU. Card failed to power up. When I used two different strands it worked just fine. I never looked into the issue farther, perhaps it's a OCP limit issue or something like that. If for cable management reasons you are trying to use only one set of wires from the PSU, try it with two.

Seeing as this is an RMA'd GPU, I still think even #2 isn't likely. If you had it working before, and then it died, you should be able to get it working again. This leads me to think of other less likely problems. The slot is also fried, or perhaps bent pins inside the slot. If it's a new board there might also be some odd things about it you don't know. Double check you are using the slot for GPUs that you are supposed to be using.

ariliteth

Commendable
May 18, 2016
Alright, seems like it's working now! Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.

I plugged a new cable from the vga 2 slot in my psu into my gpu and everything started up just fine.

So what does this tell me? Is my psu something that I should replace? Or is thus a minor, contained malfunction that I'd be better just working around?

4745454b

Titan
So your's is like my Antec? You can't run just one set of wires to the GPU? As I said, I suspect it's from OCP or something like that. A way of not forcing all the current through one set of wires. But if you got it working I honestly wouldn't mess with it anymore.