Question Display works on iGpu (mobo) but on Discrete Card just Black Screen.

Mar 10, 2023
So i bought an Rx550 2gb, works at first having a resolution of 800x600, then i proceed into downloading the drivers on (amd official website) i hit restart then it started to boot up but only to my bios name (Gigabyte Ultra Durable) then black screen.. when i switch the hdmi back to the motherboard it works it continued, so i checked the (device manager) and it's there with the latest drivers installed, i also check the (adrenaline software app) it's also displayed there but it did not read it as my "primary" its on gpu (1), and the primary is still my apu (r7) gpu 0, so tried some games and nope it's idle on 0, my APU is still doing all the work.

So i need some help, is this some driver issues?? Motherboard? Ram? I dont really know, it seems my only problem is if i boot the pc with the hdmi on my GPU it leads to a black screen 😭

CPU: Amd A10-7860k
CPU cooler: Cryorig C1 ITX
Motherboard: ITX gigabyte f2a88xn-wifi rev 3.0
Ram: 16gb Hyperx 1600
SSD/HDD: hdd 1tb western digital/ssd 128gb kingston
GPU:
PSU: ZM-450 fx (age: around 5-6 years i think)
Chassis: Silver Stone SG06BB-Lite Black (2009)
Monitor: Samsung S20D300F

Last edited:
Connect monitor to both GPU and motherboard at same time. Go to Device Manager and check if your monitor appears twice. If it does press Win+P and set multiple display to Clone. Then go to GPU Control Panel and make sure you have correct resolution and refresh rate set. If all good there and you still get no display from GPU then most likely you bought faulty one.

Reactions: thatpotatoPC
Mar 10, 2023
Connect monitor to both GPU and motherboard at same time. Go to Device Manager and check if your monitor appears twice. If it does press Win+P and set multiple display to Clone. Then go to GPU Control Panel and make sure you have correct resolution and refresh rate set. If all good there and you still get no display from GPU then most likely you bought faulty one.

Thanks I'll try this tomorrow, my pc suddenly freezes now every boot don't know what the heck happened... Restarted it like 6x now just freezes after it displayed the (gigabyte ultra durable) 😮‍💨, so me and my dad (called him for help) decided to reformat it..

would that solve the issue? I really hope soo... Im gonna leave an update here if the problem still persist.

Mar 10, 2023
If the GPU is faulty (as I suspect) then no.

I dont know if its faulty but, my vga to hdmi adapter doesnt work on it, but my other monitor which is Hdmi to hdmi works...

My question is would they work together? If i don't plug my other display on the gpu? Tried some games but it still uses my APU.

Edit edit
I think im good now its using the rx550 as long as its the only display i use, the moment i use the igpu (mobo) it splits the process now i can use dual monitor function (this is pretty nice)

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
They don't work together in that way. Either the discrete GPU is doing the work or the APU is. There was Hybrid Crossfire for awhile a long time ago, but it was pretty terrible and you needed to have very specific combos to even get that to work.

This is the first time you're even mentioning a VGA to HDMI adapter; there's a reason that it's a good idea to give all the pertinent information. VGA to HDMI adapters won't work properly here unless it explicitly is sold as an active adapter. Is it?