Display Wouldn't Work Without 4+4 CPU Power, Now Not at All

invisibledoogey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014
Hi All,

I just built my first computer. Everything went off without a hitch, except I really started having trouble with my computer's display working. I tried a number of different things and finally out of curiosity plugged the CPU 4+4 pin power from my PSU into the 8 pin CPU connector on my motherboard. For some reason, that initially did the trick (despite the fact that no instructions told me I need to plug that in).

I spent a few hours with my computer installing all drivers, Windows, programs, etc. Everything worked well. It rebooted properly each time. I got through all driver installations properly and was just installing peripheral software, so I knew everything was set correctly. Finally I closed it down for the night. This morning I went to turn it on and the display was no longer appearing. I unplugged and plugged back in all power cables and tried. I unplugged the CPU 4+4 power to see if maybe with new drivers I didn't need it plugged in anymore. That still didn't work. I tried the monitor with another computer and it worked, so that isn't the issue.

The mobo works, the fans on my graphics card correctly spin, everything seems to work properly. But now I get no display even when I do and do not plug in the CPU 4+4 power to my motherboard. I'm at a loss for what to try next. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Here are my computer's specs:
Graphics Card: PNY GeForce GTX770 4GB
PSU: CORSAIR RM Series RM750 750W ATX12V
Motherboard: MSI ATX Z97 GAMING 7
CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K
RAM: 8GB 4x2 D3 1600 DIMM

Also as a side note, I unfortunately don't have another desktop to plug any of my computer parts into to check individually. Only a laptop that allowed me to test the monitor.

Mike_Tech

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
HI There

You need to have both the 24-pin and the 4+4 pin connected in order for your PC to power up - this should be mentioned in your motherboard manual.

PLug this in, and then try to power the system - if something is wrong on the right-hand edge of this moherboard there should be a small 2 character LED Display with boot codes on that should direct you to the fault.

invisibledoogey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Thanks, I should have clarified. I have both the 24-pin and 4+4 pin connected to my PSU already.

Here is a picture with a red box around the additional 4+4 CPU connector I was referring to: http://imgur.com/btqUd7x

That extra power connection was initially needed for the display to work properly. But now the display isn't working no matter what.

Mike_Tech

Reputable
Sep 22, 2014
OK, the socket shown there must be connected :)

When you power the machine now, do you have the fans spin up etc? What does the Display on the right of the motherboard show when you try to power up?

invisibledoogey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2014

Ah, good to know :) I didn't see that in my instructions, so only did the right thing by dumb luck. Also I came back home from work and booted it up again and now the display works. I didn't change anything at all when I gave up on it this morning. So I guess it just need time to sit and sort its problems out on its own :p

I'll let everyone know if the issue pops up again. Appreciate the help!

Also the motherboard Post 1/2 display isn't showing anything interesting, cycling between a lot of numbers, not stopping on anything. All systems in the green...