DisplayLink Introduces Wireless Technology For First, Second, Third Generation VR HMDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015
Nice to have another wireless option coming, but stepping on the cord and damaging it or tripping is only possible if you leave it on the floor to be stepped on, rather than building a proper VR space. Hang it from the ceiling, and use a retracting clothesline to keep the wire out of your way. This goes a lot better with the new Vive cable, so you don't need much force to keep it off the ground.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009

doesnt matter what he likes or not, many places cover holes from pictures or in the ceiling as not the occupants fault... forget the name what its classified as.

but at the same time, even if you own the house, thats not an option for most people, a vr space.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

As long as you spackle the holes when you leave, a sane landlord won't care.

Jeff Fx

Reputable
Jan 2, 2015

Lots of houses have a front room and a living room. Giving up one of them for a VR room is a pretty good trade if you're healthy enough for active gaming. My large VR space is in an apartment. I don't need a dining room, so the dining room became the TV room, and the living room became the VR room.

It's a break from tradition, but I can do a lot more in a VR room than in a living room, and I now get a lot more exercise than I used to, and spend a lot less time sitting down.

gopher1369

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Good luck getting that idea past my wife! Serious answer: different priorities here, I think sitting down at a dinner table together as a family and eating together is more important than VR.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
All these talks about the wireless interfaces, they don't specifically mention how the non-video portions of the data stream get incorporated. Tracking info, audio, web-cam (well that one is video) back to the host computer, etc. I'm guessing those signals are bundled in on the 'uplink' side of things and just not mentioned?

chicofehr

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
If you have a friend who lives on a farm or acreage with an empty barn/garage/shed etc. then set it up there :p lots of room. Just make sure to download the games you want before bringing computer there as internet would be a problem.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
the magic of DisplayLink’s wireless solution rests in the company’s compression system
I'm gonna say "told you so".

I wonder if they can get any cost reductions on the beam steering antenna, if they integrated it with the VR system's existing tracking facility.

Status
Not open for further replies.