Displayport 1.4 vs 1.2

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018
Hello!
I got into PCs recently and I don't know very much about how things work yet.
I got a monitor called Asus MG279Q and my GPU is Nvidia GTX 1070TI. I read somewhere that I need a powerful Displayport cable in order to support 1440p at 144hz in games, so I bought a displayport 1.4 cable from Lindy that says it can transfer 32.4Gbps. And the resolution and refresh rate are indeed the desired ones if I look at display settings in Windows 10, but now I find out that my monitor's displayport input is 1.2. Doers that mean that I will be limited to a Displayport 1.2 power even though my cable is 1.4? Will I be able to run games with the desired refresh rate and resolution under these circumstances?
Andy

PS. I don't have any games yet, so I cannot check

Solution

DisplayPort 1.2 supports up to ≈165 Hz at 1440p, so you don't need any version higher than that.

Yes, if any part of your connection (source, display, or cable) does not support higher than HBR2 speed (DisplayPort 1.2) then your connection will be limited to HBR2 speed and below. But, if you have a higher rated cable then it will be reusable for future higher resolution displays.

Solution

andyhegyes17

Commendable
Jul 8, 2018

Thank you for the helpful answer!