DisplayPort Arrives On USB Type-C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
This is cool stuff! I wonder if they will ever get around to redesign the Cat 5e / 6 network connector to be smaller to allow more ports on enterprise network switches?

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
If they shrunk the 8P8C connector (often mistakenly referred to as RJ45) then HDBaseT may finally take off. In its current form, HDBaseT is in many ways the universal cable standard that the USB-IF is trying to create. It can carry video (up to 4K uncompressed), audio, data (including embedded USB 2.0 for keyboard-video-mouse etc), various control signals, and power (up to 100W).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDBaseT

The biggest selling point of HDBaseT is that it uses standard Cat 5e/6/7 cables which are super dirt cheap (especially in bulk) and can be user-terminated for custom lengths.
Also a major selling point is the allowable length of cable runs, which is up to 100 m (300+ ft.). Way longer than HDMI, DisplayPort, USB, etc. Many homes and buildings are already wired with Cat 5e/6 to boot.

InvalidError

Titan
Seeing how flimsy the micro-B connector on both the N7-2012 and N7-2013 were, I am worried about how many flimsy Type-C connectors will end up in the wild... I would expect things to get considerably worse.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
Seeing how flimsy the micro-B connector on both the N7-2012 and N7-2013 were, I am worried about how many flimsy Type-C connectors will end up in the wild... I would expect things to get considerably worse.
The micro-B connectors were not and are not all that flimsy. Nearly every USB device in my home that is not USB 3.0 has that connector and NONE of them have ever broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts