Question Displayport issues with GTX 1080

shawnc22

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2012
Hey guys, I'm temporarily installing a gtx 1080 into a legacy system with an asus x58 sabertooth motherboard, and I'm running into some odd issues with the displayport. I know this system is bottlenecked to no end, but this is just temporary. I'm trying to power three monitors (Dell U2719D, Dell S2721DGF, and a Lenovo P27h-20), so I initially just plugged all 3 into each of the separate DP ports. System booted to the POST screen and I can get into BIOS, but it would immediately lose signal once past it. Eventually, I discovered that if I plugged only one of the monitors into the HDMI port and leave the other two unplugged, it would boot into windows without issue. If I then plug the other two monitors into the other DP slots after loading into Windows, everything turns on and works. Rebooting it would result in the same initial issue again until I unplugged the DP monitors. After playing around with it a little more, I discovered that I can leave a second monitor plugged in to the DP slot that's on the edge right next to the HDMI slot and still have it boot into windows, but if I leave the third monitor plugged into any of the other DP slots, no boot.

Some of the things I've tried so far:
  • Cleared and reset CMOS
  • Turned on ACPI 2.0 in BIOS
  • Made sure the DP 1.3/1.4 firmware fix update is installed
  • Made sure BIOS is up to date
From googling, I found this other thread that sounded like the exact issue: https://forums.tomshardware.com/forums/graphics-cards.9/post-thread. Unfortunately, my BIOS does not have the "Asus Express Gate" option that seems to have fixed it for some people. Not the end of the world here as I can just leave one monitor unplugged on boot up and then plug it in later as a workaround, but hoping that someone may have a better solution or idea to what might be happening here.

Thanks in advance!

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
I actually have a similar problem.For me you can see the second monitor has connection but when it comes to windows(second monitor will only work when inside windows after drivers loaded etc)my second monitor would be plugged in but not detected So i have to unplug it and replug it in and it works.It's not my gpu or display as i have tested both and it doesn't always happen.