Displayport losses signal when I have other monitor plugged in

Diehardwalnut

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
I have been having an issue lately with my dual monitors. My graphics card is an EVGA GTX 980 (this problem wasn't here this morning, it happened when I came back home and rebooted) . I can have one monitor connected to HDMI or one connected to display port but I can't have both connected. When I try to have both connected only the monitor connected to HDMI will display something. The second I unplug the HDMI cable from either the monitor or from the GPU the display port works. I have tried different cables (both HDMI and display port), checking for updates, powering everything off and unplugging everything. As well as trying different display ports (they all work just not when an HDMI cable is connected). Any idea whats going on?

Solution
did you check windows settings? sounds like its setup only for one monitor and the HDMI is the "Primary"(and when there is no HDMI he searches for other displays and if it found something it will transfer to that display), press Windows Button and P, then put Extend or Clone (whatever is to your liking), or Right click then Display Setting then play on from there

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
did you check windows settings? sounds like its setup only for one monitor and the HDMI is the "Primary"(and when there is no HDMI he searches for other displays and if it found something it will transfer to that display), press Windows Button and P, then put Extend or Clone (whatever is to your liking), or Right click then Display Setting then play on from there

Solution

schooltime7634

Prominent
Sep 24, 2018
The above answer looks about right. Try what he said. But in case it doesn't work: I don't have a certain answer, but from what you're saying, it sounds like even though they're 2 ports, they probably are connected to the same one thing. What I mean is, sometimes, gpus don't have enough space, I'm guessing, to be able to put two separate parts to send output signals. So they make one of them, with 2 ports, but if you use one, the other will no work, because it is already sending to one port. Don't know if this will help. :D