DisplayPort Monitors Disconnect When Powered Off

xandor123

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
I've got 2 monitors set up on my brand new, custom-built PC: Dell S2417DG and Dell E2416H. They're both plugged into my ASUS GTX 1080 Ti card via DisplayPort. Issue I'm having is that whenever I power one of them off using the button on the monitor, Windows thinks that it's been unplugged, so all my windows and such will automatically port over to the other screen. I don't think I need to tell anyone how aggravating this is to deal with.

I've spent the last 3 days Googling this and haven't been able to come up with any workable solutions. I've got the latest drivers for both the gfx card and monitors. Going HDMI isn't possible because one monitor only has DP and VGA connections and because I've only got 1 HDMI port on the card. I've tried a few programs to help me deal with the problem (RestoreWindows, CRU) to no avail. I've tried looking for TMM in the registry to adjust the values there, but that doesn't exist in Windows 10.

I really want to run this 2K monitor, but I'm not going to be able to handle shuffling screens back and forth for the next few years. Any ideas here would be great.

xandor123

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

This is the first I'm hearing of this potential solution. I can't find anything in either monitor's menu on DDC/CI. How would I disable this?

Edit: I found the option in the menu for the E2416H monitor. I disabled the option, unplugged the monitor for a few minutes, plugged it back in and I'm still having the same trouble. I turn the monitor off, Windows disconnects it and all my things are moved. This doesn't seem to be an option on my S2417DG.

xandor123

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008
Thread necro!

Prior to now, my solution to the above problem was to simply use HDMI to power both monitors. A few days ago, however, I decided to move to a 3 monitor setup, which necessitated me to drive two monitors via HDMI and my 2K monitor through DP. I've recently taken to putting my computer to sleep, and this was working well until today. Now, when I wake my computer up, the monitors will do that thing where they flicker, indicating that it's changing the display setup. When I login to Windows, my main display is empty and all my windows and such have moved over to monitor 3.

I Googled again, but I'm still unable to find a solution. Unfortunately, my 2K monitor doesn't have any DDC/CI toggles, and my video card doesn't give me the ability to do the EDID solution (workstation option isn't in the nvidia CP). Now granted, I do have a VGA cable lying around somewhere and I could connect one of them up by that, but I'd like to explore other options before doing so.