Apr 16, 2019
Hi there guys,

Got an issue with the display from my rig and I can't seem to work it out!

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/v3ZNMZ

CPU: Intel - Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING EDGE AC ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Kingston - A400 120 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Fractal Design - Define S ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Monitor: Asus - VG248QE 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor
Monitor: Acer - S240HL Abid 24.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor

I recently upgraded my RAM, MOBO and CPU to what is displayed above, ever since then I have been having no issues whatso ever and everything has been smooth.

Ever since yesterday my computer will no longer turn on. Two days ago I started receiving a BSOD, a cache error I only saw this twice and both times it went away with a reboot. Now when I try to attempt to turn on my computer only my DVI monitor boots up, when it does it just goes instantly black and I get no options my DisplayPort monitor does not even attempt to turn on.

I have so far attempted to reseat, my GPU, RAM, CPU and Cooler. I have unplugged and reconnected all of the harddrives connected and none of this seemed to fix it. The only thing which seems to help is if I completely remove my GPU and plug my monitor directly into my Mobo allowing me to use integrated graphics. This has lead me to believe that it's my GPU's issue but i'm just wondering before I RMA it whether anyone else has any ideas for me to try?

Edit 1: I also notice that when I boot up my comp my MOBO lights up the GPU EZ Debug LED for a good 30 seconds and then it goes away.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Solution
If the problem goes away when using integrated graphics then it is VERY likely the problem is either the graphics card or power supply. Since you have a high quality power supply, that is unlikely but still possible. It could also be a motherboard issue, but it's a lot less likely. You might try moving the graphics card to one of the other x16 PCIe slots to see if the problem follows it or goes away. If it follows it, then it's probably the graphics card (IF the power supply is not the issue and you can at least do a minimal preliminary check of that by downloading HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, open hardware monitor or any other monitoring utility) and looking at the 3v, 5v and 12v system voltages, visible by choosing the "Sensors only" option...
If the problem goes away when using integrated graphics then it is VERY likely the problem is either the graphics card or power supply. Since you have a high quality power supply, that is unlikely but still possible. It could also be a motherboard issue, but it's a lot less likely. You might try moving the graphics card to one of the other x16 PCIe slots to see if the problem follows it or goes away. If it follows it, then it's probably the graphics card (IF the power supply is not the issue and you can at least do a minimal preliminary check of that by downloading HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, open hardware monitor or any other monitoring utility) and looking at the 3v, 5v and 12v system voltages, visible by choosing the "Sensors only" option when you start HWinfo. Also, they should be displayed in the bios. Cheap PSU testers are also readily available, although they will not tell you anything under load conditions.) and checking the system voltages.

I realize, that's kind of hard to do if the display won't stay on though.

My money would be on the graphics card either being bad or the power supply is faulty. Make sure that the PCI power cables from the PSU are fully seated on the graphics card, that the EPS power connectors are plugged into the motherboard and that there are no bent pins on the display cables you are plugging into the graphics card. Since the iGPU works, it's unlikely to be a cable problem or a monitor problem.

It's almost certainly power supply, graphics card or motherboard, so you just need to eliminate things and since it works with the iGPU, it makes it a whole lot more likely that the graphics card is to blame but try the things outlined and see what happens.

Reactions: Aledd
Solution
Apr 16, 2019
If the problem goes away when using integrated graphics then it is VERY likely the problem is either the graphics card or power supply. Since you have a high quality power supply, that is unlikely but still possible. It could also be a motherboard issue, but it's a lot less likely. You might try moving the graphics card to one of the other x16 PCIe slots to see if the problem follows it or goes away. If it follows it, then it's probably the graphics card (IF the power supply is not the issue and you can at least do a minimal preliminary check of that by downloading HWinfo (NOT HWmonitor, open hardware monitor or any other monitoring utility) and looking at the 3v, 5v and 12v system voltages, visible by choosing the "Sensors only" option when you start HWinfo. Also, they should be displayed in the bios. Cheap PSU testers are also readily available, although they will not tell you anything under load conditions.) and checking the system voltages.

I realize, that's kind of hard to do if the display won't stay on though.

My money would be on the graphics card either being bad or the power supply is faulty. Make sure that the PCI power cables from the PSU are fully seated on the graphics card, that the EPS power connectors are plugged into the motherboard and that there are no bent pins on the display cables you are plugging into the graphics card. Since the iGPU works, it's unlikely to be a cable problem or a monitor problem.

It's almost certainly power supply, graphics card or motherboard, so you just need to eliminate things and since it works with the iGPU, it makes it a whole lot more likely that the graphics card is to blame but try the things outlined and see what happens.

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried reseating the GPU in the other PCIe slot to no change unfortunately! Yeah as I don't even get a boot up screen of any kind there's no way for me to play around with looking at the system voltages unless I remove my GPU? I have tried reseating the cables to everything a good few times to no avail. I'm just gonna call it quits and send back my GPU, been a good bud for a few years luckily it's still in warranty so should be possible for me to swap out with them!

Thanks again for the reply, just wanted a second/ third opinion on the issue incase someone had some kind of sneaky fix! I will get onto Asus and set up the RMA!

Before you do that, so you don't pay for shipping for no reason, it might be a good idea to try it in another system first, just to make sure it's the card and not something else. Just a thought, if you have access to another system you could try it in.

Apr 16, 2019
Before you do that, so you don't pay for shipping for no reason, it might be a good idea to try it in another system first, just to make sure it's the card and not something else. Just a thought, if you have access to another system you could try it in.

Yeah that's usually one of the first things I try, but all of my mates who had comps I could use have since moved away so no spare comp to place it in unfortunately.

If you have local computer repair shops you might be able to take it to them and simply ask them to see if it works in one of their machines or not. A lot of shops will be happy to do that, in the hopes that you will bring other work to them later, or for a very small fee. Might at least be worth calling around and asking "hey, if I bring you this graphics card can you tell me if it works or not".

Otherwise, you may just have to roll the dice on an RMA, which is a "fairly" safe bet, but I wouldn't say it's a "sure" one.

Apr 16, 2019
Yeah I did think about that, but i'm just going to roll the dice on an RMA and hope for the best! Might as well get a new before my warranty runs out anywho!

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Apr 16, 2019
Got myself a replacement GPU and that's worked a treat. No more black screen issues! And I made some money back in the process! Win win :)

Apr 16, 2019
Yeah i'm glad it was, obviously has to be the most expensive part that decides to play up on me! But atleast I was still within warranty!

TRENDING THREADS