Question Displayport Not working at 144hz

Oct 4, 2022
Hi,

I have a Radeon 5600xt that was working at 144hz with an AOC monitor. I have changed to a Samsung monitor (labelled as 144hz) but it only shows as 120hz. (monitor is CJG5_C27JG5xQQ (DP)).

Oddly enough, the displayport cable that came in the box with the new monitor does not work. I purchased a new displayport cable and that did not work either. Finally, i tried a very old displayport cable and that does work, but only shows up as 120Hz max.

It seems like the two newer displayport cables dont work for some reason, but i doubt the cables are both broken? I seems like it isnt handling the higher throughput. Both the display properties and display adapter properties show 120hz as max. The monitor menu shows as displayport 1.2.

Does anyone know what is wrong with this set up!? Very stuck with this.

Thanks!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try and use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers then manually reinstall the latest AMD drivers sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Latest BIOS version for your motherboard?

Oct 4, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Try and use DDU to uninstall all remnants of your GPU drivers then manually reinstall the latest AMD drivers sourced from AMD's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. Latest BIOS version for your motherboard?

Tried this and still the same. Fresh wiped driver with DDU and reinstalled from AMD's website. Updated chipset drivers. BIOS version is 2.17.1246 on ROG STRIX B450 gaming.

It works at 144hz with my old monitor and the same cable. But newer displayport cables dont work with the new monitor :-(

Hi,

I have a Radeon 5600xt that was working at 144hz with an AOC monitor. I have changed to a Samsung monitor (labelled as 144hz) but it only shows as 120hz. (monitor is CJG5_C27JG5xQQ (DP)).

Oddly enough, the displayport cable that came in the box with the new monitor does not work. I purchased a new displayport cable and that did not work either. Finally, i tried a very old displayport cable and that does work, but only shows up as 120Hz max.

It seems like the two newer displayport cables dont work for some reason, but i doubt the cables are both broken? I seems like it isnt handling the higher throughput. Both the display properties and display adapter properties show 120hz as max. The monitor menu shows as displayport 1.2.

Does anyone know what is wrong with this set up!? Very stuck with this.

Thanks!

Hey there,

That's very odd. The monitor is DP 1.2 so should be able to support 144hz even up to 1440p. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 120hz. Can you set a custom res and hz to see if that's a way around it?

Oct 4, 2022
Hey there,

That's very odd. The monitor is DP 1.2 so should be able to support 144hz even up to 1440p. HDMI 2.0 is limited to 120hz. Can you set a custom res and hz to see if that's a way around it?

See screenshot link below. Windows display properties showing max 120hz, the monitor system menu showing 120hz (119hz) but then showing 144hz at the top :-/

If i go to the "Game" menu in the monitor, i can set 144hz which is shown at the top.

Imgur link