DisplayPort stopped working on Gigabyte 1080 Ti, but HDMI ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 15, 2013
I've been using the Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB via DisplayPort on a Dell 4317Q 4K monitor for over a year now without problems, and yesterday the computer froze for 1-2 seconds (while I was doing light work, no gaming), display turned off, reboot.. and.. no display (not even bios).

Tried all 3 DisplayPort outputs. Tried a different DisplayPort cable, no display. Then tried HDMI and it is working just fine again.

What happened? Did the DisplayPort chip on the card fry itself and cause the crash? Or is there a more likely explanation?

If the above indeed happened, should I RMA it? I don't NEED the DisplayPorts to work (it also has 3 HDMI 2.0b's which drive my screen just fine, and I hate to be waiting for a card to be returned for weeks), but on the other hand if something died on the card who knows what will die next? It supposedly has 3 years warranty so I guess I can still wait.

One curious thing is that I removed the card completely to run it with integrated graphics to make sure the card was the problem (this is before I knew HDMI would work). The mobo (Asus ROG MAXIMUS X HERO) has both DisplayPort and HDMI, and only managed to get a picture with HDMI.. could this be related? Before you say, your cable is faulty, remember I tried with 2 cables, and one had been working for a year.. can a cable instantly die and freeze the computer? Worth buying some other DisplayPort cable to test if its just being picky?

This is on the latest Windows 10, if that matters.

Mar 15, 2013
This is a closely related case, which is something I haven't considered yet: maybe the DisplayPort on the monitor is the one that died: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3423404/1080ti-displaying-displayport-dell-monitor.html

And this monitor does HDMI at 30hz apparently, so I need this fixed, unlike what I said above.

Sounds like I should find another device with DisplayPort output, or talk to Dell..

EDIT: scratch that, just plugged a macbook into that same DisplayPort input and it worked just fine.

So most likely either all 3 DisplayPort ports on my card are dead, or both my DisplayPort cables are dead..

Mar 15, 2013
Ok, not sure what happened, but tried a bunch of things, including resetting mobo bios, reinstalling card and cables, and now for whatever reason DisplayPort is working again. Not entirely sure what did the trick.

For the benefit of future readers: also installing https://www.techpowerup.com/244981/nvidia-has-a-displayport-problem-which-only-a-bios-update-can-fix just in case it is related and it can prevent the problem from re-appearing. When I ran the Nvidia tool it said an update to the graphics card's bios was needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.