DisplayPort to HDMI adapter not working

RomneyCare

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015
Hey,
I have a Geforce GTX 970 that has One HDMI port and 3 Displayports. I had only a single monitor with this computer for a while now and I decided to use a DisplayPort so I ordered

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Plated-DisplayPort-Adapter/dp/B005H3I38Q

and Im trying to connect it to a Toshiba 24L4200U Monitor. The problem is that the monitor nor the computer is getting any signal of any connection of the Displayport Adapter and I just picked up this adapter expecting it to just work. Nothing has worked so far. Anyone have any suggestions? Oh and I forgot to add that Im using Windows 8.1

Solution
Ok, so what you want is to avoid the VGA and avoid the displayport. Unless you want to invest the 25-35 dollars for an ACTIVE adapter, I'd suggest just getting a standard DVI to HDMI adapter which is available at most electronics stores like Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. Or you can order one online. Use the DVI to HDMI adapter for one monitor. Use HDMI to HDMI as normal for the other monitor. HDMI and DVI are the same thing, both are digital signals, except that the DVI doesn't have the sound channel to carry. DVI to HDMI will be a better quality signal than VGA, plus it will allow the Extended Display Identification Data to be used by the operating system.
Why are you trying to use a displayport to HDMI adapter with a GPU that already has an HDMI output if you are only using one monitor? If you are using two monitors, you want to use the DVI output for one or both, and possibly HDMI for a second if one of them has no DVI input. Generally speaking, you need an ACTIVE displayport to HDMI adapter to use additional monitors. I don't even know why they sell the non-active versions as they never work.

RomneyCare

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

I'm not very knowledgeable on computer hardware. I have my main monitor setup to HDMI and I got a second monitor and hooking that up with the Display port Adapter to HDMI. Ill try using the DVI.

RomneyCare

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

Graphics Card: Nivida Geforce GTX 970
1st Monitor: Insignia NS-32D120A13
2nd Monitor: Toshiba 24L4200U

I realize it's an Nvidia GTX 970, but WHICH model. There are about at least ten to fifteen manufacturers of the 970 and each of them has several different models of the 970. Each of those models has different outputs and capabilities. I'm assuming you probably have an HDMI, a Displayport and two DVI outputs, but I'd like to verify that as well as the versions of each output.

Looks like the Insignia has only HDMI and VGA inputs. The Toshiba also has only HDMI and VGA inputs. What outputs are on your GPU will determine how you need to configure the connections since HDMI and VGA are the only options for those monitors. Very unusual to not have any DVI inputs on the monitors.

RomneyCare

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

My friend has a DVI to VGA adapter which im thinking on getting one for myself. You think that will prove a better job then the Display ports?

RomneyCare

Reputable
Jan 17, 2015

Actually I the 970 I own has 3 Displayports 1 HDMI and one DVI. And Im really sorry for not giving the model number in the first place, but its a MSI GTX 970 4GD5 OC.

Ok, so what you want is to avoid the VGA and avoid the displayport. Unless you want to invest the 25-35 dollars for an ACTIVE adapter, I'd suggest just getting a standard DVI to HDMI adapter which is available at most electronics stores like Radio Shack, Best Buy, etc. Or you can order one online. Use the DVI to HDMI adapter for one monitor. Use HDMI to HDMI as normal for the other monitor. HDMI and DVI are the same thing, both are digital signals, except that the DVI doesn't have the sound channel to carry. DVI to HDMI will be a better quality signal than VGA, plus it will allow the Extended Display Identification Data to be used by the operating system.

Solution