[SOLVED] Displayport to HDMI Cable Broke RX 570, Why/How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2019
Now this is a weird problem that I cannot get much info on.

I have been using an active Displayport to HDMI adapter to use TV as monitor. Recently I bought an Acer B227Qbmiprzx. Noticed I had this short Displayport to HDMI cable that does not have an active adapter on it in my stash. First of all, I got signal with white dots randomly spread flowing around. I thought may be the timing signal ain't set in yet. While I was trying to find Auto-setup button, screen began to get smaller and disappear with a boop sound. I thought may be it's not compatible or did not slot in correctly. I removed cable, tried again, no signal began to appear.

I switched to my active Displayport to HDMI adaptor. It was slow but the signal was going through. After a restart, it stopped working. The graphics card is MSI RX 570 Armor 8GB OC. It has 3 Displayport. None of them worked. During boot I would get a 640 x 480 bios logo screen. That's all. After initial boot sequence is gone, no signal.

Tried TV to get signal, did not work.
Enabled iGPU and tried to get Displayport signal from it, it did work (only with active adapter).
Found a regular Displayport cable, it worked both on iGPU and RX 570.
Tried regular HDMI on RX 570, it worked.
Tried DVI to HDMI on RX570, it worked.

I also tried:
  • Resetting Bios,
  • Leaving PC powerless overnight,
  • Disable CSM.

Windows says that:
  • There is a connection coming from a monitor.
  • The monitor is Generic non-PnP monitor.
  • Monitor resolution is 640 x 480 (probably this is wrong since even if I set all outputs to show the same with 640 x 480, there is nothing appearing.).

I did not try to reset VBios, yet. MSI tech support gave me a ROM but they told me that if I brick it, that would void the warranty. Also, they added that they do not give support to 3rd party port changing adapters.

Right now, I get 1.62G bps x 4 signal from my Displayport, sound is delivered and adaptive sync enabled as well. This makes me believe that Displayport is not ruined, may be the protocol used is ruined. May be the graphics card is keeping the transfer information and tries to replicate that whenever I try to use the adapter. I am also totally sure that this is not a Windows issue.

I would like to hear how actually these adapters work. Does GPU keep the data or the chip in cable keep the data? I read Displayport can be wired to native HDMI directly but this event makes me think it cannot be.

Solution
First thing you should do is clean install of the driver (I assume msi tech support told you to do that?)
Try connecting via hdmi to verify it is a displayport issue

For your question-
Displayport and hdmi are both digital signals so they can be converted passively or activly
Let's break it down:
  1. An ACTIVE adapter means it converts the signal being output (in this case DisplayPort) into HDMI. The active adapter will have either some sort of converter chip/electronics in order to do this conversion. As part of this conversion, (and in this context) the active adapter will generate the correct HDMI output clock corresponding to the DisplayPort input signal.
  2. A PASSIVE adapter implies it is simply a cable that is wired correctly...

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
First thing you should do is clean install of the driver (I assume msi tech support told you to do that?)
Try connecting via hdmi to verify it is a displayport issue

For your question-
Displayport and hdmi are both digital signals so they can be converted passively or activly
Let's break it down:
  1. An ACTIVE adapter means it converts the signal being output (in this case DisplayPort) into HDMI. The active adapter will have either some sort of converter chip/electronics in order to do this conversion. As part of this conversion, (and in this context) the active adapter will generate the correct HDMI output clock corresponding to the DisplayPort input signal.
  2. A PASSIVE adapter implies it is simply a cable that is wired correctly to go from (in this case) DisplayPort to HDMI. The video card in a laptop/PC must be able to detect and negotiate the correct mode to the input device (e.g. monitor, HDTV) via the response (EDID) it receives from the device.

Solution
Jun 16, 2019
I went through some more search about Active and Passive, found by luck https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...or-active-passive-d-stop-the-madness.2689847/ .

I began to think that whatever chip is controlling the D++ on GPU is malfunctioning. Since I have been using active adapter for long and switched to passive without giving PC some time to feel that active was plugged off, it may be in a state of confusion. But would that explain why regular Displayport cable works right now but the active adapter not working other than during Bios screen with lowest resolution possible?

Hypothesis aside, tech support did not tell me to that, but I already did a clean drive installation to everything. Asrock is not advising to upgrade Bios so I cannot do that unless I plan to change the CPU. Direct HDMI connection works fine even the sound goes through.

Well, guess I shall change the question to "Does RX 570 or do similar generation cards work with passive adapters?"; or "Did anyone break a graphics card with a passive adapter?".

Edit: Read the post I found over and over. How did mine get ruined while only one monitor was connected, since most users seem to have had and have this problem while working with 3+ monitors; which I was planning to do to start with.
Edit#2: https://community.amd.com/thread/232019 (I really began to regret for choosing AMD).

Last edited:

tshinhar

Honorable
May 27, 2015
Well since using hdmi works it is safe to assume that the problem is with displayport connection.

The rx570 (and every gpu from the past 10 years for that matter) should be able to work with a passive adapter

Next I would suggest trying connecting to a monitor using displayport to displayport cable.
As I see it your video card is not able to detect it is connected to an hdmi display via displayport
If direct displayport connection works I would say the signal output components are not working correctly, also try looking at the software settings it might also be a software issue

Jun 16, 2019
Displayport to displayport works. I get full 4 lanes (as AMD states).

Shop sent me a new Displayport to HDMI adapter which looks like active. It's not working on RX570 but works with integrated Intel graphics.

Tried to clone the display via Radeon Settings; did not work.
Tried to override my resolution; Radeon Settings said it was not supported.
Tried HDMI to HDMI again to see whether it's a type HDMI detection issue; HDMI works.

I think of 3 things I shall try but I cannot;
1) Plug RX570 to another mobo and test
- No other mobo
2) Plug smth else to my mobo and test
- Everyone I know is on Mac or laptop
3) Flash bios
- Bricking voids 34 months of warranty

Wrote before MSI tech support ain't supporting this adapter. Guess I will pleb with whatever I have at end; this is probably what I get for the "best valued" graphics card of May 19'. It's not that it's bad, it's just not 'bad cable/user' proof for sure.

Noticed smth; Windows thinks the adapter gives 640 x 480 signal while Radeon settings were telling me 800 x 600. Still cloning did not work even though after enabling clone Windows and Radeon settings were set to same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.