Question Displayport (USB-c)

Mar 3, 2019
My desktop has the asus prime a320mk motherboard.
I want to connect it to my Dell WD 15 dock via USB-c so that I can display desktop screen on the monitors connected to my dock.
I now realise that in order for the USB-c port to operate as a display port it requires direct access to the motherboard/GPU which my PCI card doesn't have.
The USB-c connection does work to enable me to use my mouse etc via the dock.
What is the most cost-effective way of adding a display port?
I don't want to replace the motherboard.
So I guess that leaves me with potentially finding a reasonably priced graphics card that is compatible with my motherboard and has display port USB-c.
Or a different type of PCI card that can supply direct access to the GPU on my motherboard?

InvalidError

Titan
Why are you so desperate to connect additional displays over USB-C instead of HDMI or DP? That would make sense for a laptop, not so much for a desktop aside from the lack of appropriate additional ports to connect displays to. If all you want is extra monitors, I'd just get something like a GT1030 and move all monitors to it. This way, you reclaim the system RAM and bandwidth used by the IGP and should get slightly better system performance.

To connect a monitor to USB without DP pass-through, you need a USB display adapter, preferably one with its own local frame buffer so it doesn't have to continuously refresh over the bus and consume CPU time to do so. The memory-less ones can be had for ~$15 while those with local memory appear to be $50+.

Instead of spending $50+ on a kludge, I'd just spend another $30-50 extra for a proper GPU.

GPU compatibility with your motherboard shouldn't be an issue, just about any consumer PCIe graphics adapter in existence should work as long as you have a sufficiently powerful decent quality PSU to feed it. The whole point of PCIe (and USB) is that as long as the plugs fit, it should work. (Though things are getting muddier with USB-C's billion alt-modes such as DP pass-through.)