DisplayPort vs DVI

The 5850 will likely appreciate it running off of display port as that saves it from having to convert it to DVI, and display port has much better bandwidth and may actually make a difference for that monitor, unlike DVI vs HDMI, display port carries a totally different signal so there may be quality differences in favor of the display port.

richman1211

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Hey guys,

I've just started my research on a new custom built system including trying to figure out what the displayport offers performance-wise. Have not found any benchmarks that would account for it.

I also have a Dell U3011 (pure awesomeness!) and it has a displayport so even if I don't end up figuring out what the heck it does for me, I'll likely look for a video card that has a displayport. No idea if it's an issue, but just I'm assuming the U3011 supports version DP 1.2 (not confirmed) and is backward compatible with DP 1.1a which seems to be what the GTX 580 supports.

From Wiki - The first (DisplayPort) version was approved in May 2006, version 1.1a was approved on April 2, 2007, and the current version 1.2 was approved on December 22, 2009.

I'll keep an eye out here for new info and post any I find.

Guys...DVI, Displayport, HDMI...they are all digital formats. The only real differences between them are handshacking, header formatting, and HDCP, which are miniscule performance wise. The only major difference between them are in maximum bandwith [Displayport > HDMI > DVI].

If your looking for "FPS" differences, you won't find any.

^+1 in other words you can run very long lengths of DP cable without bandwidth loss.

"DisplayPort supports higher performance as a standard feature-every 6-foot cable supports 10.8 Gbps. With HDMI, high performance is optional and comes at a significant cost premium. DisplayPort has better support for projectors and enables cool ultra-thin monitors. It supports native fiber optic cable and offers latching connectors, features that are missing from HDMI. Down the road, DisplayPort will allow multi-function monitors with a single cable delivering display, audio, and USB connectivity. It will also support multiple monitors on a single connector."
Quote from DELL.

richman1211

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Thanks guys. I did some more research and like you said, most benefits are directed at multi monitor systems, cable length, daisy chaining, etc... I looked into it thinking it might help a dual crossfire or sli at 2560x1600 on a 30" display. All I heard was "better maximum bandwidth" and I got all excited!

At this point, I'm kind of decided on dual 6950's which have Displayports anyway so I'll probably buy the $30 dongle knowing I'll likely add another 30" at some point.