Question Displayport VS HDMI

svalbaard

Honorable
Aug 30, 2013
Morning all. I have an MSI (AMD Radeon) RX5500-XT in my desktop PC which has 3 x Displayport outputs, and 1 x HDMI output.

My setup is that I currently have 2 x 24" monitors; one being connected to DP output 1, and the other being connected to DP output 2. I then have my Windows 10 desktop extended over both without issue.

I now require a third screen, but rather than buy a third DP compatible monitor what I would like to do instead is use an older 24" HDMI monitor. But when I plug this into the HDMI output on the card it cuts out all monitor signals (Displayport and HDMI) almost like no monitors are plugged in to the card whatsoever.

So my questions are:
  1. Am I being a dolt by not realising that you can't mix and match Displayport and HDMI simultaneously in a 2 x DP + 1 x HDMI configuration?
  2. If not, is there a setting in the AMD Catalyst software that has to be enabled?
  3. Do you think it might work if I bought a Displayport to HDMI adapter cable and plugged one end into Displayport output 3, and the other end into the HDMI input on the older monitor?

Many thanks in advance.

Sval

D

Deleted member 1272431

Morning all. I have an MSI (AMD Radeon) RX5500-XT in my desktop PC which has 3 x Displayport outputs, and 1 x HDMI output.

My setup is that I currently have 2 x 24" monitors; one being connected to DP output 1, and the other being connected to DP output 2. I then have my Windows 10 desktop extended over both without issue.

I now require a third screen, but rather than buy a third DP compatible monitor what I would like to do instead is use an older 24" HDMI monitor. But when I plug this into the HDMI output on the card it cuts out all monitor signals (Displayport and HDMI) almost like no monitors are plugged in to the card whatsoever.

So my questions are:
  1. Am I being a dolt by not realising that you can't mix and match Displayport and HDMI simultaneously in a 2 x DP + 1 x HDMI configuration?
  2. If not, is there a setting in the AMD Catalyst software that has to be enabled?
  3. Do you think it might work if I bought a Displayport to HDMI adapter cable and plugged one end into Displayport output 3, and the other end into the HDMI input on the older monitor?
Many thanks in advance.

Sval

Weird.

1. Nope, I'm running HDMI and VGA outputs from the same GPU and work fine, I assume it's even worse than DP and HDMI, those being both digital signals.

2. Have no idea, sorry. I'd tweak Windows setting for monitors. I'd first set all monitors to replicate instead of extend and see if that changes. Windows might not be detecting that monitor. Have you tried that one alone? Does it work?

3. Would not go down that road yet as converters (done right and reliable) may be quite expensive