jvogs12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
When in HDMI, it wont allow my 144hz monitor to run at 144hz (options only allow up to 60) , in DisplayPort it allows up to 144hz, but when i switch to it, i cant open any app and am stuck on my home screen. when i hover over the app with my mouse it shows the little box showing whats inside the app, but when i click on it it wont open

jvogs12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
Are you connected to multiple monitors at that point? Sounds like your desktop is being extended, with the taskbar duplicated - but the actual applications are opening on the "other" monitor.
I only have one monitor plugged in. But i have both the HDMI and DisplayPort cables plugged in. Should it not be like this?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
No, disconnect the HDMI if you're running DisplayPort. I suspect the system "sees" two displays (one HDMI, one DP) and your applications are actually opening, you just can't see them.
Or, to verify*, toggle back to HDMI and see if the apps are running.

*Although no need to verify. Whether that is the case or not, if you're using DP, there's no need for the HDMI to be connected.

jvogs12

Reputable
Dec 29, 2017
No, disconnect the HDMI if you're running DisplayPort. I suspect the system "sees" two displays (one HDMI, one DP) and your applications are actually opening, you just can't see them.
Or, to verify*, toggle back to HDMI and see if the apps are running.

*Although no need to verify. Whether that is the case or not, if you're using DP, there's no need for the HDMI to be connected.
It worked, thanks. However before switching to 144hz my games would run at Ultra Settings at past 144 fps. Now they only run at like 30 at the same settings?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Then you're probably connected to the onboard, and not to your graphics cards. That would explain both (although 30FPS on an iGP is better than I would've assumed for most games).

Assuming you have a desktop with a fairly standard layout, this should help:

1111.png