[SOLVED] Displays don't fully wake up from sleep/hibernation

littleben

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2015
When I go to wake up my PC with mouse or keyboard I can see the primary monitor (I have 3) come out of its own standby mode but the screen stays dark and moment after gives a 'no signal message'. The other screens possibly wake up from their standby too, cant remember.

Have had 2 monitors (Asus mx27aq) connected for over 2 years with no issue. Recently connected a third (Asus pg279q) as primary monitor. No issues for a couple of weeks. Went on holiday during which time my flatmate updated my Nvidia drivers (clean install via geforce experience). Came home to this waking up issue.

Have done another clean install of graphics drivers (via geforce) which did not resolve.

Have been through all Keyboard and Mice in Device manager to check they are set to wake up computer (though some did not have power management tab)

I think most of the time it has not gone into hibernation mode, only sleep and it is still not able to wake up. So doubt its a power supply issue as some other threads suggest.

Most solutions I have found while browsing are just turning off sleep/hibernation (not a solution!)

Any help much appreciated.

System:
Asus Rampage IV Extreme
GTX 980 Ti
16GB Corsair Dominator GT
i7 3930K
Coraisr RM 1000

Solution
I seem to have made some headway on my own monitor wake problem. It has worked as normal for two days straight.

What I ended up doing was to use the Windows Troubleshooter option: Fix Problems with Windows Update. I ran it several times and it kept finding and "fixing "corrupt update files. I had updates paused. So I turned the update pause off, and tried it again.

This time when it "fixed" corrupted updates files, it seemed to work. And when I ran the troubleshooter again, it found no errors. It also updated about four updates.

When I went back to Widows version 1709 (from 1803), it said there would be applications and browsers that may not work. That is what happened. Google had to be deleted and reinstalled (and it is...
I looked farther back on the installed Windows updates. That same update (KB4023057) was listed as unsuccessful and successful many times since the middle of summer. It was listed as successful seven times. It was listed as unsuccessful more than 20 times. Both successful and unsuccessful attempts were mixed up in mixed order.

I seem to have made some headway on my own monitor wake problem. It has worked as normal for two days straight.

What I ended up doing was to use the Windows Troubleshooter option: Fix Problems with Windows Update. I ran it several times and it kept finding and "fixing "corrupt update files. I had updates paused. So I turned the update pause off, and tried it again.

This time when it "fixed" corrupted updates files, it seemed to work. And when I ran the troubleshooter again, it found no errors. It also updated about four updates.

When I went back to Widows version 1709 (from 1803), it said there would be applications and browsers that may not work. That is what happened. Google had to be deleted and reinstalled (and it is still odd). My GPU overclock software had to be deleted and reinstalled (as did some games and other applications).

But so far the monitor is shutting off and waking as normal for two days. And before that it wouldn't wake normally after just a few hours of resetting the monitor.

Solution