[SOLVED] Displays don't react after ALT-TABBING a game

SirTennant

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
• Computer's age: 2 years (GPU is about 3 years old, PSU is 2,5 years old), Monitors are about 3 years old as well, but they work flawlessly except for this one problem.
• PC Components:
PSU:
Corsair CX650M
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x
RAM: 16gb (2x8 3200MHz)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 1060 6GB Gainward
Monitors: I don't know their exact names, but this is what I found when I went into Advanced display settings: Display 1: VX228, Display 2: ASUS VP228. They are also both 1920x1080, 60Hz
Description of the problem: I don't know when exactly thís has started happening as it has been happening for quite some time, but I only decided to get support now. Basically, I have two monitors and what sometimes happens is that when I ALT-TAB my game to look at something else on my second monitor, then from time to time my monitors kind of "freeze" (not really freeze, but I can't interact with anything). I can't click on anything. I can still operate via keyboard and I can also ALT-TAB the game back up and the game is also the only thing that's responsive because all the other programs are also frozen. It doesn't happen every time I ALT-TAB a game and it also doesn't seem to happen with every game.

This has happened to me with games like: Vietcong 1 (Fullscreen), Payday 2 (Fullscreen), Phasmophobia (Borderless), Arma 3 (Borderless)
At first, I thought that the problem was mainly with Fullscreen games since it has happened to me with Phasmophobia on borderless, but very rarely. But then I remembered Arma 3 that I also play on borderless and there it happened almost every time I played it. The other two games I play on fullscreen and with those, the freezing happens quite frequently.

What can solve the problem temporarily: This problem sometimes fixes itself temporarily. Very rarely it fixes itself when I simply ALT-TAB the game up and down a few times. The most common fix that works is when I restart the game, the displays usually start responding immediately after turning off the game, however, sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes before the displays start being responsive. And sometimes I simply have to restart my computer since displays just stay unresponsive even after 10+ minutes of waiting. A restart fixes this problem every time, but I would prefer a solution that would be more permanent as I ALT-TAB my games really often.

Thanks for you help in advance!

Solution
Not going to lie but a screen resolution at 1920x1080 might not be enough, also make sure both monitors have the same refresh rate.
If 2 monitors are quite different in size, it will be a tug of war of which screen gets the bigger size.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4VGS8wG1b4&ab_channel=xChAOs

Looking at both monitors, I suggest you get another VX228 asus is that one has a bigger screen resolution.
Your monitor is abit old so I will leave this to you to think about, this should be way much better than asus monitors...
Not going to lie but a screen resolution at 1920x1080 might not be enough, also make sure both monitors have the same refresh rate.
If 2 monitors are quite different in size, it will be a tug of war of which screen gets the bigger size.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4VGS8wG1b4&ab_channel=xChAOs

Looking at both monitors, I suggest you get another VX228 asus is that one has a bigger screen resolution.
Your monitor is abit old so I will leave this to you to think about, this should be way much better than asus monitors:
https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-43-i...s&sprefix=samsung+oled,electronics,172&sr=1-5

Solution

SirTennant

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Yea, I'm planning on buying some new monitor/s, but there must be some other solution to this. I have these two monitors as a setup for like 3 years and this has started happening only like few months ago at max. They have the same refresh rate..