[SOLVED] Display's go blank among other things

Frooz

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
I got a new nvme and wanted to put windows on that instead of my ssd. After cleaning both the old boot ssd and the new drive I proceeded with installing windows. Here is where my problem first started, after the initial install, the windows setup starts (where you sign in and turn off location services, pick a country etc), once i got part way through this my monitors went blank for around 10-15 seconds, then came back. This happened every 5-10 seconds. Eventually I was fast enough at doing the setup that I managed to get into windows before it completely froze up. After attempting plenty of solutions that I found online, I found this reddit post about someone who looks like they have a similar issue. The only problem is theirs seemed to be a hardware issue where as my computer worked perfectly up until I went to reinstall windows on a new drive. Down below I will have a list of things I have already tried and some things I have noticed. Any possible solutions will be greatly appreciated and please let me know if you need anymore information. Some other things that I have noticed are that when trying to run a benchmark on Village, it gave me an error saying that it did not recognize my gpu among some other D3D11 errors.

In short, the GPU works without drivers perfectly fine, but when drivers are installed my monitors randomly go blank (not always one colour, sometimes its green, sometimes its grey, sometimes its blue. It seems to have to do what what is open on my screen at that time) , sometimes permanently.

What I have tried:
  • Reseating the pcie extension cable (gpu is vertically mounted also I am unable to actually seat it as my computer is fully watercooled)
  • Booting into safe mode which actually stopped the error from happening
  • Managing to uninstall the graphics drivers in-between the errors. No more errors but obviously I need some drivers.
  • Tried both the device manager and geforce experience to update the drivers, both caused the same thing to happen.
  • Tried a fresh reset using the windows troubleshooting
  • Lastly tried reinstalling windows back onto the original ssd which again caused the same problem hopefully ruling out that it was the nvme.
System specs:
  • 16gb Corsair vengeance RGB Pro 3600mhz currently not on XMP just incase
  • Ryzen 5 3600x (Non OC)
  • Asrock x570 taichi
  • RTX 2070 OC (Stock OC version)

Frooz

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
On the reddit post, he did mention he tried 2 different cards. Do you have a spear card laying around?

Possibly some really old card, I could always borrow a friends but it would have to be put in with a riser cable, unless I empty my whole loop etc. I figured my gpu was fine just because it worked perfectly before I wiped my drives and reinstalled windows.

Frooz

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
Best to root out other possibilities. Since the reddit post does seem to have the same issue as you.

It might be a driver issue, maybe try to rollback to an old driver?
Just tried driver 436.3 from September 10, 2019. The problem still happens. Tried to run the Unigine Valley Benchmark and got a couple of errors:

D3D11Render::D3D11Render(): Unknown NVidia GPU
Direct3D11 error: device removed
D3D11Texture::create(): can't create R8 64x64 2D texture
RenderManager::createTexture(): can't create texture

Also not sure if this is relavent, but if I let my pc sit on one screen without doing anything, my monitors dont go blank. It really only happens when I do things, like open device manager etc.

Frooz

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
You really need to try another GPU to see if the system can recognize it.

As for the error. I found this, I dont know if it helps but it's right there.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/uwp/gaming/handling-device-lost-scenarios

I switched the extension cable into another slot on my motherboard. It still did the blank screen, now I changed some of the power settings in the NVIDIA control pannel, to perfer max performance. Now it seems to be running fine apart from the fact it wont let me use my other 2 monitors. I benchmarked it and it recognized my GPU along with getting roughly 200 more fps than before when it wasnt recognizing it. Do you think I should fully update the drivers being as im still on 436.3?

Frooz

Prominent
Jun 22, 2020
You can try to update, just to see if it would work.

I have updated to the most recent drivers and I've had no problems with blank screens so far. The only issue I am now having, is only 2 of my monitors are working. My last monitor is plugged in with dp, it works if I plug it in with hdmi but I need the hdmi for my other screen. The cable works fine I tested it with my other monitor. It does get recognized by my computer but it says no signal.