Question Displays turn off when I plug the second one in

Booyahman

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2014
[Moderator edit to break up one solid paragraph of text.]

So I'm truly not sure which section this goes in because I'm not sure what's the issue.

So what happens is as follows: I can start and use my computer without issue, as far as I can tell, if I only plug in one monitor.

Up until yesterday, my computer was running two monitors with no trouble.

Yesterday, I was playing a game and both monitors lost their signal from the computer but stayed on. I could also still hear audio from the game but couldn't interact with the computer at all; keyboard didn't work, mouse didn't seem to work (I had no visuals so I couldn't tell if it was working or not other than I wasn't getting audio queues from what I would've been doing in the game) and on top of that, the power button on the case wouldn't shut the computer off, I had to hold it for 4 seconds to force it off.

Like I said, this ONLY happens if I plug in both monitors; if I only use one monitor everything is dandy and it seems both monitors have power and both monitors work if I only use one individually; same for both the cables I'm using (which are Amazon Basic VGA<->HDMI cables).

Swapping one of the cables to an HDMI only cable didn't fix the issue and the computer only has 1 HDMI port for the monitors so I can't try double HDMI only. GPU is Radeon R9 390.

Today I plan on cleaning out the case/whatever else I can find. If that doesn't help, I'll try buying new cables to try that out.

If that doesn't work then I'll be bringing it to a computer shop nearby that has good reputation before I start replacing things willinillily.

Thanks for any assistance, I fortunately am not too freaking out since the computer is still usable but I do miss that other monitor... Workflow is rough without it. :)

Last edited by a moderator: