Disposable Camera Coil Gun

dothweedPL

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
Dont know if its a correct topic, but ive been trying to make a coil gun from a circut i had in Kodak Flash camera. The problem is that i have wrapped the coil around the tube i want to fire from, and wire everything up, the bloody thing doesnt want to fire but just makes a spark. Help would be good.

Solution

There are two things that you must have for this to work.

1. You must have insulated copper wiring for the coil. You may use the copper wiring from other solenoids such as those found in electric motors. This wiring has a very thin layer of insulation, it's almost invisible. You cannot use copper wire that has been stripped of its insulation as this will cause the coil to short to itself and it will not build up a magnetic field.

2. You must have a ferromagnetic projectile. Small nails work beautifully for this. A ferromagnetic object will be attracted to any natural magnet, such as those found on fridges.

I got bored over the summer and built one of these out of spare parts from my test bench. I powered it using a 10,000 microfarad capacitor charged to 50 volts. Fun times were had.

dothweedPL

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Will a copper wire work? I tried the wire from the electric moror and getting same sparks. By wire i ment the wire that is already on a spool ready to be applied to any household items.

Any highly conductive wire will work, but copper is most common. The wire used on electric windings is coated in a thin polymer coating. If this coating is breached, it may short and the current will simply jump across the shorts in the winding rather than go through the loops.

If you use wire that has a plastic sheath that can be stripped with wire cutters you'll have to take care to wrap it very tightly otherwise the magnetic field might be too weak to keep the projectile in the center of the solenoid.

dothweedPL

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

Still getting the spark and the gun doesnt even atteact the object

Where is the spark occurring?

dothweedPL

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

The spark is happening when i connect the wire coming from the capacitor to one of the ends on the coil.

Yeah that's normal and to be expected.

dothweedPL

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013

So whats the solution for it to work?

Make sure that the object that you're trying to fire is actually ferromagnetic or ferrimagnetic.

Solution