Dissecting the Modern Motherboard: Connectors, Ports & Chipsets Explained

Status
Not open for further replies.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
and the build up to the release of the z390 intensifies... not that it looks all that great over z370, tomshardware must have a special review in the works.

Jun 9, 2018
Correction needed within the last paragraph under "Expansion Slots"
"Lastly, a note about metal-wrapped PCIe slots: These are increasingly common in high-end and even mainstream boards. The idea is that they provide more support for large memory cards, to keep the plastic slot from cracking or outright breaking under the weight of heavy cards."
*The idea is that they provide more support for large *graphics* cards*

Jun 29, 2018
This motherboard has an surprising and unusual COM/Serial header. Is this header for any external com/Serial device? Is an adapter included with the motherboard? If not where can one buy the adapter for it? You have done well here, thanks.

"You know what's funny? The "PS2 Keyboard/Mouse Port".
It just keeps hanging around...year after year, decade after decade...."

It's a result of too many custom and/or wireless KBs not completely compatible with BIOS at default. Also indispensable for troubleshooting/installing an OS that doesn't have native chipset or USB drivers.

The ps2 is also still preferred by some fps gamers, since the "less input lag" phrase is still hanging around. I do not knlw if it's true or not, I just nnow it's still common to claim it is.

desertrat76

Reputable
Jul 15, 2015
I have built my own since DOS, learning from forums like Tom's HW. Thank you for writing a concise yet understandable article with many photographs.

Status
Not open for further replies.