[SOLVED] distorted audio after playing a high end game

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
So after some time i decided to play some rdr2 again and got sound crackling/popping issues. I looked online and a simple fix was turning off voice chat, and so I did. After I did this my sound got really bad and distorted. Even my microphone was distorted. I found out that turning Dolby atmos off and turning windows spatializer off helped, but for only about half an hour. I also tried lowering the sample rate and it did help but it only made the distortion noise "quieter". When I close the game the audio is still distorted i would almost say deepfried. Only after I restart my pc everything is back to normal. This also happens when playing cyberpunk 2077. On the other hand this does not happen when playing games like BTD6, Brawlhalla or Rainbow 6 siege.

My specs
Corsais HS80 (I also use the headsets mic)
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
-be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM PSU / PC
  • Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
  • Geforce RTX 3070
-samsung 870 evo
-2x 8GB corsair vengeance 3200

Solution
Do you know someone who can test it on their pc? I think there is a reasonable chance it’s a faulty headset, the fact it works ok at Windows desktop I don’t think tells us anything conclusive. The only way I see to rule out the headset is testing it on another pc or trying a different headset.
I have tested another headset on my computer. I plugged this headset in via the ST100 headset stand (The "broken" one is also plugged in that way). And I have not gotten any problems yet. I think it has something to do with corsair icue or the headset actually is broken.
So after some time i decided to play some rdr2 again and got sound crackling/popping issues. I looked online and a simple fix was turning off voice chat, and so I did. After I did this my sound got really bad and distorted. Even my microphone was distorted. I found out that turning Dolby atmos off and turning windows spatializer off helped, but for only about half an hour. I also tried lowering the sample rate and it did help but it only made the distortion noise "quieter". When I close the game the audio is still distorted i would almost say deepfried. Only after I restart my pc everything is back to normal. This also happens when playing cyberpunk 2077. On the other hand this does not happen when playing games like BTD6, Brawlhalla or Rainbow 6 siege.

My specs
Corsais HS80 (I also use the headsets mic)
- AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
-be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM PSU / PC
  • Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2
  • Geforce RTX 3070
-samsung 870 evo
-2x 8GB corsair vengeance 3200
follow this step by step in order (read till end):
  • Disconnect from internet
  • Uninstall every gpu driver and realtek audio driver using DDU (clean and do not restart, also tick all option in Nvidia option in the ddu settings).
  • Uninstall all the processors (is a must, should be 12 on yours since it's 12 threads, also when it asks for restart, click on no and keep uninstalling all processors) on device manager like this:
    unknown.png

• Uninstall AMD Chipset Software in control panel (if there is none, skip it.)

• reboot the PC to bios, disable AMD fTPM and secure boot (if enabled by default), save and exit, go to bios again, flash to the latest bios (do it again if you're currently using the latest bios) ver F15d the one with agesa 1.2.0.7, go to bios after finished updating, then load default or optimized settings, enable fastest xmp profile, then save and exit.

Optional: disable CSM, enable Above 4G Decoding and Resizable bar option (these 2 options wont be available unless CSM is disabled). If gpu supports, why not XD

• if successful, boot up to windows and install the latest Chipset driver (should be ver 4.08.xx as the time i write this), then reboot.

• Install the latest nvidia driver, reboot, and then connect to internet.

*do this all offline until reboot after installing chipset driver, also you may reboot to bios after all of this to set the XMP (and previous settings you did), dont forget to put ram on slot 2 and 4. Download needed files (highlighted word) before doing step 1, do the step by orders.

• Run cmd as admin, then do chkdsk /x /f /r, after that do sfc /scannow

• And check windows update if there is any and install them (except optional update).

• Make sure the psu connected to the gpu is 1 pcie cable per 1 slot (use main cable, not the branches/split) like this:
    unknown.png

How long have you had the pc , i got a brand new pc 6 years ago and it turned out to have both a faulty mobo and gpu , the sound would suddenly go distorted , next the graphics glitched and then the crashes.

That was the last off the shelf pc i bought

I did everything step for step and successfully done everything, but the issue still persists.
okay then, try to go to the bios and find "XMP High Frequency" option, and put it to level 1

OR, try to find SOC Voltage option and set them to 1.15v.

Sorry i suddenly remember this issue espescially on GB mobos, is somehow related to SOC Voltage, hence you could set it manually (1.15v daily safe value) or just by set the XMP High Frequency to Level 1. Level 1=3200, Level 2=3400/3466, Level 3=3600.

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
It was already set to "profile 1 3200".

Still I don't get it why turning voice chat off in a game made this happen. Then toggling DOLBY ATMOS off solved it for a bit, but then the issue comes back.

It was already set to "profile 1 3200".

Still I don't get it why turning voice chat off in a game made this happen. Then toggling DOLBY ATMOS off solved it for a bit, but then the issue comes back.
No, it's not the XMP Profile, but XMP High Frequency Support and chose Level 1. IDRK if it's available on your bios, but if there is none, try to set the soc voltage at 1.15v (i think i've told you abt it in the post before this?)

I kept an eye out for the soc and it did not drop. Sadly the audio issue is still there. Does changing the soc change my pc's performance or should I keep it at 1.15
it doesnt interfere with the performance. soc voltage is the voltage used for the I/O chip die, 1.15v is usually a good sweetspot for oc ing the ram but also somehow in gb mobos it fixes the issue somehow, not always but i've seen the issue in this forum like you. Hence why i suggested to find "XMP High Frequency Support" option anywhere in your bios and set it to level 1.

I do not have another pc to try on. But it works fine whenever I'm not gaming a high end game
Do you know someone who can test it on their pc? I think there is a reasonable chance it’s a faulty headset, the fact it works ok at Windows desktop I don’t think tells us anything conclusive. The only way I see to rule out the headset is testing it on another pc or trying a different headset.

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
I am able to test my headset on my laptop, but i cannot play any high end game on it to test, my laptop can't handle that.

DragonBrent

Prominent
Mar 20, 2021
I have tested another headset on my computer. I plugged this headset in via the ST100 headset stand (The "broken" one is also plugged in that way). And I have not gotten any problems yet. I think it has something to do with corsair icue or the headset actually is broken.

Last edited:
Solution