[SOLVED] Distorted display on new PC with RTX4080

Mar 6, 2023
I've build a new PC and sometimes my display looks like this: screenshots. The top bit of the screen looks normal, but the rest is out of place and partially distorted.

The best way I can reproduce this is a reboot, last I tested about 1 in 3 reboots resulted in this distortion directly from the lock screen (but not the Windows logo before that). But I've also seen this happen without a reboot directly before it happened. Task manager shows the GPU temperature at 24/25 deg C, and I haven't done anything strenuous on the GPU yet.

The monitor is 1080p/60Hz (about 10 years old), has never malfunctioned and still works correctly with other PCs (using the same HDMI cable too). Disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable fixes the issue. I haven't used the DisplayPort ports on the GPU yet.

First time I saw this was during the Out-of-Box Experience of Windows 11, so nothing had been installed yet except for my mobo's LAN driver (and maybe Windows had already installed some drivers from Windows Update). I have also have run DDU and installed the newest driver from Nvidia.

GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 4080 16GB SUPRIM X
Mobo: MSI MAG Z790 TOMAHAWK WIFI
CPU: Intel i9 13900K (IGP multi monitor is disabled)
PSU: be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 1000W
No overclocking

I put this in the GPU forum for now, but I honestly don't know where the issue lies. Any help would be massively appreciated. If more info is needed, let me know.

Last edited:
Solution
I tried another monitor and different cables. Cables make no difference, but the other monitor didn't have the issue.

I set the problematic monitor to 59.94Hz in Windows (instead of 60Hz) and it very much seems to have fixed the issue. Still a bit strange, because it has been working fine on 60Hz for years, but I'm happy it works now.
Mar 6, 2023
I would try a new HDMI cable and a displayport cable if the issue persists with the new HDMI cable. Its one of the easiest things to rule out early.
I'll try an HDMI to DVI-D cable with a different monitor and see how that goes. I have 0 displayport cables/monitors, so that's gonna be a bit harder.

Mar 6, 2023
I tried another monitor and different cables. Cables make no difference, but the other monitor didn't have the issue.

I set the problematic monitor to 59.94Hz in Windows (instead of 60Hz) and it very much seems to have fixed the issue. Still a bit strange, because it has been working fine on 60Hz for years, but I'm happy it works now.

Reactions: helper800
Solution