Distorted/frozen image during game

taforssad

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Hey guys

I have recently bought a benQ GW2470h monitor to connect to my laptop through HDMI. The monitor works fine during normal usage in windows but when I am playing Starcraft 2 the image freezes and becomes distorted every 5 to 10 min. By distorted I mean you can not make out anything like the colors are spread across the screen with lines running through it in a frozen state.
This problem never happens on the laptop screen an only happening on the external monitor.

The interesting thing is that disconnecting and reconnecting the hdmi or turning the monitor off and on again solves the problem but after a couple of minutes the same thing happens again.

I have an asus laptop running windows 10. It has a GTX 950m and core i7 6500U.

I have updated the graphic driver and also tried multiple different HDMI cables but it did not solve the problem. Also the exact same problem happened once when I was watching a movie as well which should mean the problem is not related to the specific game settings or bugs.

Anyone has any idea what is the problem here? I appreciate some help.

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
can you try first downloading and running this tool from the site below and share the link? at least this will also give a quick audit of your hardware specs and the driver/BIOS version you are running on your laptop.
http://www.userbenchmark.com/

taforssad

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Here is the link you requested http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/6748261
It seems the gtx 950m is not included in the benchmark and only the Intel HD 520

marksavio

Estimable
Dec 23, 2017
can you change your OS powerplan to high performance?
also open your nvidia control panel. go to 3d graphics settings. set preferred graphics processor as Nvidia. set power management to adaptive/high.
restart. and try to see if your games are working normally.

you may have been using your internal graphics instead of your nvidia card this whole time. hence, the benchmark tool only detected your internal graphics for testing over your nvidia.

taforssad

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

I have already done that. Even manually set my game to run on the Nvidia graphic card in the Nvidia control panel

taforssad

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018

Ok I tried that but still the problem persist