Question Distorting and Crackling Audio in New Build

ImXgif

Reputable
Jul 13, 2016
So I recently put together a Ryzen 3900x build and it immediately had some audio problems, it peaks and crackles from just windows sound tests. Did the same in games and in discord voice chats. Originally I thought it was my audio interface drivers but turns out it was all audio outputs. I have tried two different motherboards in the MSI Gaming Edge Wi-Fi, and the ASUS ROG Strix x570 boards, as well as two different power supplies. Its only storage is a 500GB m.2 SSD with 16GB of 3600MHz RAM. Everything is on base settings in BIOS and in windows after a fresh install and still having issues. The PC also gets stuck at windows restart screen fairly often, maybe 10% of attempted restarts. I am led to believe its a CPU issue but wanted to see if there were other troubleshoot options before opting for a replacement.

ImXgif

Reputable
Jul 13, 2016
It was a fresh windows install on a brand new SSD. I have tried plugging my headphones into the front audio jack on my case as well as the mobo outputs. I also have a steinberg ur22mkii audio interface and the issue is present in all of them.

Only think I can think of is try the Steinberg on another computer, if it persists there then its probably that.

Also I'm assuming you have tried different headphones/speakers? As well as different cables?

This sounds like some sort of hardware issue, since it has carried over from two different mobos and power supplies.

ImXgif

Reputable
Jul 13, 2016
Only think I can think of is try the Steinberg on another computer, if it persists there then its probably that.

Also I'm assuming you have tried different headphones/speakers? As well as different cables?

This sounds like some sort of hardware issue, since it has carried over from two different mobos and power supplies.

Yeah, I have tried the Steinberg on another PC and it works perfectly, I have tried another pair of headphones as well with no luck.

EDIT: Feel like its probably also worth mentioning that I updated my BIOS yesterday and everything seemed to be working well, was able to play and stream overwatch on the same PC for 4 hours with no real problems. But booted it up today and it has worse audio than it ever has.

EDIT 2: So I reseated my ram after testing with each stick individually and having no issues, and testing both individually showed no problems, nor did it show problems after putting the second stick back in. Does this indicate a potential RAM issue?

EDIT 3: So I have had a few lag spikes that last a second or two, the first one was while streaming yesterday so I assumed maybe it just got under some heavy load but it has happened twice so far today as well.

Last edited: