Question Display distortion when booting into Windows ?

Jun 2, 2023
Upon starting my pc I get distortion at the bottom of my display on my monitor that is connected to my pc via DP. But if I use HDMI it works just fine and there are no issues. So I concluded at first it might of been a monitor/GPU issue. But while in the BIOS there is no distortion at all. It's only when I am in Windows.

The distortion will eventually go away on it's own after leaving it for awhile but it happens every time I start my PC without fail. I have tried the following:
  • Updating my drivers
  • Reverting to an older driver version
  • Using DDU and installing the driver again
  • Tried my monitor on a different PC via DP (Worked just fine/Only tested once).

CPU: Intel i7-10700KF
GPU: Geforce RTX 3070
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz 2x16gb
MOBO: ASUS Prime Z490-P
PSU: Corsair RM750x

Jun 2, 2023
I've seen this many times. It has always been the monitor failing. In some cases, this can be helped by running at a lower refresh rate (it can be related to memory not updating fast enough, in which case a lower refresh rate will clear it up).
I'll try that. I have to let my PC shut down and sit for like 20 minutes or so and start it back up for the problem to reoccur so I'll do that and hopefully it doesn't happen

I did not but lowering the refresh rate of the monitor seemed to fix it. I started my PC again with no issues.
FYI, sometimes memory in the monitor works better when warmed up (sounds like ancient tube technology!). You might find that the scan rate which issues occur at may get slower over time, but that when warm (not cooled off), the scan rate may go back up slightly. Not much use though to know that until the scan rate ceiling gets so slow it impacts the next lower rate you've chosen.