[SOLVED] Distortion with Acer Predator X34 at 100hz or higher

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
I have a ultrawide X34 predator monitor. The monitor performs and looks great. However I noticed some distortion that I wasn't sure about. I tried a new cable and it was still there. It wasn't until I changed the setting in nvidia control panel from 144hz to 75hz that it got better. The problem occurs when I run steam client or some random website. When I run it then it distorts my desktop in the same spot as it would on the client. So I changed the refresh rate to 75hz.

Does that mean that all games that I run will be locked to 75hz or with those game override it when I run them? And does this mean to run 75hz or better I need to get a high quality cable that supports it. I would assume that the monitor comes with such a cable but then again just because it's a high-end monitor doesn't mean it has to come with the highest quality of cables.

here's pic of the distortion. My apologies for the quality https://ibb.co/xsDkcvj

This one here for reference the monitor I have https://www.microcenter.com/product...mpatible_HDR400_Curved_IPS_LED_Gaming_Monitor

Thanks in advance

Solution
Does that mean that all games that I run will be locked to 75hz
if your refresh rate is set to 75Hz in your OS, than it will be set to that in everything else.
does this mean to run 75hz or better I need to get a high quality cable that supports it.
the cable(s) that came with the monitor would be sufficient bandwidth-wise.

try removing all GPU drivers & settings with DDU in safe mode. then reinstall the latest package.

also see if there is updated drivers and\or firmware for the display itself.

you can also check within the monitor's onscreen menu if there are any settings out of whack.
try turning on\off any overclock features that are set and set everything else to defaults.

and if you have any HDR features turned on...
Does that mean that all games that I run will be locked to 75hz
if your refresh rate is set to 75Hz in your OS, than it will be set to that in everything else.
does this mean to run 75hz or better I need to get a high quality cable that supports it.

try removing all GPU drivers & settings with DDU in safe mode. then reinstall the latest package.

you can also check within the monitor's onscreen menu if there are any settings out of whack.
try turning on\off any overclock features that are set and set everything else to defaults.

and if you have any HDR features turned on in Windows, try disabling them.
a lot of display manufacturers actually mislead consumers by stating a certain refresh rate and HDR capabilities,
but can really only run in HDR modes with a lower refresh rate.

Reactions: museprime
Solution

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

a lot of display manufacturers actually mislead consumers by stating a certain refresh rate and HDR capabilities,

I believe that was it! The monitor was in HDR mode. I made the adjustments in Nvidia control setting. Also beforehand looking at the monitor settings. And it doesn't seem to have that issue. Kind of bums me out that the monitor is somewhat incapable of running 100hz plus in HDR mode. You think that maybe a defect or just what it is?

Either way thanks for your help!

Kind of bums me out that the monitor is somewhat incapable of running 100hz plus in HDR mode. You think that maybe a defect or just what it is?
sadly, it's actually fairly common.

i purchased an MSI 1440p 144Hz HDR ultra-wide last year that was pretty expensive.
when i received it i found out that it would only do HDR at 85Hz. the whole point was to have HDR quality at a higher refresh rate.

no where on MSI's product pages or in the description on Amazon did it mention this limitation and still hasn't been added to the product specs almost a year later.

Amazon agreed that it was a form of false advertising and offered me either a 10% refund to keep the display or the option to return it for a full refund 2 months after the optional return date had passed.
i opted for the return with full refund.

really sucks that many manufacturer's are doing this.

Reactions: museprime

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

i purchased an MSI 1440p 144Hz HDR ultra-wide last year that was pretty expensive.
when i received it i found out that it would only do HDR at 85Hz. the whole point was to have HDR quality at a higher refresh rate.

no where on MSI's product pages or in the description on Amazon did it mention this limitation and still hasn't been added to the product specs almost a year later.

Amazon agreed that it was a form of false advertising and offered me either a 10% refund to keep the display or the option to return it for a full refund 2 months after the optional return date had passed.

Spoke too soon. It did it again. Back to the drawing board

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Think it maybe the montor itself. When I go into the options and fiddle around with the options. It goes away

museprime

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013

Might be a bad port on the monitor. So I've tried both HDMi and DP. both over 100hz and I get the same results. more extreme with DP port. Which I think give me a bit of relief as its not my GPU and I didn't have the same results on OLED