Distributing WiFi from UBNT EdgeRouter Lite

CrossingPanda

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
Hi, I want to get wifi from my UBNT Edgerouter Lite and that will be getting 2x FTTP Fiber 100/40 so I will need a gigabit wifi access point. I am looking for one that can be put in the study room and have a decent connection around the house. Currently, I have a wireless router from my ISP and it gets pretty good coverage around the house. Can you please link some wifi access points below or modems that I can distribute my wifi with.

Solution
In general you are going to get about the same coverage in your house no matter what brand you buy. The better quality equipment from most manufactures puts out close to the legal maximum power which is the key thing that affects coverage. The problem is your house and your end devices have much more impact on how well things work than the difference you will find between routers/ap.

All you can do is try and see how well it works. If the coverage is not good enough you need to add more radios in remote locations. Lately the problem is not so much the lack of coverage but all the crap signals coming in from your neighbors. In some ways it would be better if people did not run their routers at the max. You have to put in...

kanewolf

Titan
No single device will get more than 100Mbit even with dual WAN setup on the edgerouter. If you have many devices or want failover, then dual WAN can be beneficial. If you have a typical home environment, dual WAN usually doens't benefit.

CrossingPanda

Prominent
Jun 28, 2017
I'm not sure if I can get the Unifi AC because I will have to route the ethernet cable to where it needs to be and it costs quite alot of the unit. However, If I can get a Unifi AC in my study room and have good coverage around the house I can get it. I don't know if Dual Wan is worth it but I mainly want to get it for downloading from Steam. However, if it's too much of a hassle and not many benefits, I may get 1 100/40 connection.

In general you are going to get about the same coverage in your house no matter what brand you buy. The better quality equipment from most manufactures puts out close to the legal maximum power which is the key thing that affects coverage. The problem is your house and your end devices have much more impact on how well things work than the difference you will find between routers/ap.

All you can do is try and see how well it works. If the coverage is not good enough you need to add more radios in remote locations. Lately the problem is not so much the lack of coverage but all the crap signals coming in from your neighbors. In some ways it would be better if people did not run their routers at the max. You have to put in AP just to get signals strong enough to override the garbage.

The example you use about steam downloading will not be improved by buying 2 connections. Your connections will have different IP addresses. A single file transfer can not talk to both, this is a fundamental thing on how TCPIP works. Now you could download 2 different files but I don't think steam even supports that since it also have a userid and it would think it was hacking if you see it on 2 different ip addresses.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS