Distro for word processing/internet browsing

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
So my crappy lappy's hdd decided to die and instead of reinstalling windows with a new hdd, I want to give Linux a try. The problem is deciding which distribution is best for me. I this laptop will almost exclusively be used for word processing and spreadsheets, with plenty of browsing, nothing too demanding at all. Keep in mind this is a relatively weak laptop (Acer aspire one 722-0828). I have mild experience with ubuntu, but it seemed a bit too frilly for what I am planning on using this laptop for. I read that fedora is a great productivity distribution but I came here for a professional opinion.

Tldr: need a distribution for word processing / Internet browsing. Low power usage is a plus. I would love a Distro that's also easy to customize the appearance of.

Solution
What do you mean by "frilly"? Ubuntu is very user friendly and will certainly handle standard office applications. The interface with large launcher icons is ideal for netbooks.

Linux Mint is more like Windows, perhaps better for a traditional desktop experience.

If you want something very simple and fast, Puppy Linux is often recommended. XUbuntu and LUbuntu are also possibilities if you like Ubuntu but want something simpler.

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
What do you mean by "frilly"? Ubuntu is very user friendly and will certainly handle standard office applications. The interface with large launcher icons is ideal for netbooks.

Linux Mint is more like Windows, perhaps better for a traditional desktop experience.

If you want something very simple and fast, Puppy Linux is often recommended. XUbuntu and LUbuntu are also possibilities if you like Ubuntu but want something simpler.

Solution

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012

I like ubuntu, but specific graphic aspects will stutter on my weak netbook IGP. Would xubuntu work better?

Aristotelian

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2012
I actually have not tried XUbuntu, but it is worth a shot.

I have the same issue with my aging desktop (Dell Dimension B110) and resolved it by choosing the "classic desktop" option at the login screen (I believe this option is available through 11.04) and making this the default setting. This gives you the old GNOME desktop, which uses much simpler graphics than the new Unity desktop.

nacos

Honorable
Mar 24, 2012
Well I decided to go with Xubuntu and I'm loving it so far.

I tried crunchbang and it was definitely not my cup of tea. It was just a bit too advanced for me and it was hard to find help for it online.