Distro Release: Ubuntu 9.10 Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
I love Ubuntu. Nice and easy. openSUSE is pretty nice but I had some problems with an integrated nic on the most recent versions (10.x-11.x) haven't had that with Ubuntu in a long time. I've been wanting to use it at my work... save $140 per PC vs Win XP pro, but AD integration is probably the biggest hurdle. If I was more familiar with Linux directory services I would make its own little ecosystem but thats going to have to wait until I have time. Looking forward to the full review.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]I love when I am browsing and I hit a website that looks like it is performing a Windows virus scan. I use Ubuntu, I fear not this bullshit.[/citation]
Ya, it has the XP window borders and says things like "Windows has a problem", when I get them I'm just like "Ya, I know" LOL :)

chesterman86

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
it's nice to see linux articles here at TH. i do use windows to play games, but ubuntu it's a very good OS to watch movies, browse the web and do my everyday work (network admin) that i can't leave without it =D

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Why are the A-HOLES at mythtv.org still accepting tickets for mythtv 0.22????

They say the release is imminent yet last week they had 26 open tickets but this week they have 27 with 7 additional closed!!!!

buncha jerks.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]kyeana[/nom]oh man, this upgrade is taking forever. It's to be expected, but still[/citation]
I'm installing fresh on a new drive, pls let me know how the upgrade turns out.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
This is great news, I'm looking forward to trying it.

BTW, what's with all the Mac OS comparisons by people who don't know Mac OS? Are you guys not running Windows? How about how the new Ubuntu compares to the OS you are already struggling with?

kyeana

Distinguished
May 21, 2008
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]I'm installing fresh on a new drive, pls let me know how the upgrade turns out.[/citation]

Will do. I was debating going that route (and still might at some point, perhaps try the KDE variant instead of GNOME), however i just finished configuring all my programs, aliases, conky, desktop, etc, and i just don't think i have it in me to do it all again so soon.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Looks nice, but when I try to download it the server gets so slow, and i'm using 100.0mbps of blazing college wifi.
But I want to know when the next official 2 year maintenance Ubuntu OS comes out.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Looks nice, but when I try to download it the server gets so slow, and i'm using 100.0mbps of blazing college wifi. But I want to know when the next official 2 year maintenance Ubuntu OS comes out.[/citation]
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]Looks nice, but when I try to download it the server gets so slow, and i'm using 100.0mbps of blazing college wifi. But I want to know when the next official 2 year maintenance Ubuntu OS comes out.[/citation]
Ya, it's a little clogged right now because everyone is trying to get it. 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" will be the next LTS, look for it near the end of April.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
Was using the beta before. It's pretty neat but I get bored after about 10 minutes since all you can do is browse the web. There are no real games and no good music software/DAWs. Since I use my computer mainly to make music and play games, that means Ubuntu is pretty much useless. Plus Win7 is more streamlined and polished :)

C 64

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
Ya, the servers are really busy (a good sign I think, so I have to change DL servers twice, but the ISO is now downloaded and the disk is being burned as I type.... (mmmmmm the smell of fresh Ubuntu..) :)

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]JimmiG[/nom]Was using the beta before. It's pretty neat but I get bored after about 10 minutes since all you can do is browse the web. There are no real games and no good music software/DAWs. Since I use my computer mainly to make music and play games, that means Ubuntu is pretty much useless. Plus Win7 is more streamlined and polished[/citation]
Try wine, it is supposed to support some windows apps and games.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
I really wanted to try Linux once upon a time, and was told Ubuntu was the easiest to get in to, but after spending 2 hours tryinmg to get myu sodding graphics card recognised I just ditched it, I really dont have time to go through all that for every bit of hardware I want to use, I want my computer to allow me to enjoy myself or do useful productive things without having to spend hours faffing around with it first.

Drag0nR1der

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2007
[citation][nom]etichi[/nom]I love when I am browsing and I hit a website that looks like it is performing a Windows virus scan. I use Ubuntu, I fear not this bullshit.[/citation]

Anyone ever fell for that? Oh yeah, first rule of life, never underestimate humans capacity for stupidity

G

Kubuntu 9.10 is a Windows7 killer, they've really done a nice job with it. I installed a dual-boot of Kubuntu 9.10 beta on my non-techie buddy's computer when I fixed it for him and he about nutted himself, he looked like a kid on Christmas.

What about Fedora,SUSE,Solaris,Gentoo? No news for those eh?
[citation][nom]k00lbuntu_____[/nom]Kubuntu 9.10 is a Windows7 killer[/citation]
Doubt it. Nothing will kill Windows until Linux gets modern games (Crysis, MW,etc) natively.

Status
Not open for further replies.