Divx files cause problems...

Ris3n_Da3mon

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
Well I just went back to good ol' 2k after using windows xp for about a year. So far I've noticed speed increases in everything i do in explorer :D BUT I've discovered that 2k just doesn't like divx files :( With just the default windows media player it doesn't even recognize them as video files. And when I installed the Nimo codec pack Explorer would crash whenever i even opened the folder where the divx files were. So i uninstalled it and installed windows media player 9. Even though it has all the pretty shinyness I hated about xp, it at least lets me play most of my divx files. though still some of them have no video/sound. And a few of them make media player crash. So does anyone know any fixes for this, or am i just gonna have to put up with partial divx support?

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well, as i am writing this, i am running Div'x;) movie on w2k. The thing is that to run divx you need a divx player not an MP. And there are some divx movies that were made by the xvid encoders, so you need xvid codec installed as well.

On the other hand Windows don't like BIG divx (.avi) files, XP or w2k crash ocasionally when you mess around with those files, so just be patient with those kind of things ;)

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

Ris3n_Da3mon

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2003
i do have it installed :/ but it's just weird that i'm having so many problems. OH well, not sure what i did but i have it working just fine now. AND i can even open the folder without it crashing explorer!!! WOOT!