[SOLVED] DIY: Shortening stock PSU cables without re-terminating?

Dec 4, 2019
Hey all!

I'm currently in the process of gathering components and research to build into a mini itx case with less than 10L to work with

Anyway, I was perusing Youtube and saw an interesting video. It was essentially someone taking a Corsair SF600's stock cables;
cutting them down to his needed length in the middle (instead of cutting the ends off and re-terminating the pins),
hitting the ends with flux,
solders the two ends together with a soldering iron,
and then covering the newly soldered section with a tube of heat shrink.

So having no real electrical knowledge, I at first thought this would be a great 'shortcut' and cheaper option than creating full custom sleeved cables from scratch. But as I thought about it some more, would this method mess with voltages or anything? Basically I'm just trying to find out if this would even be something worth considering.

I've considered doing my own DIY cables to fit or buying a shortened set, but I'm seeing if there's any way I can be cheapskate at all lol

If you're curious, the video I'm referring too is titled, "Corsair 24 pin cable mod for nouvolo steck"

Solution
Fabricating the wires is a better idea.

Also, you should know that tampering with the stock wires are grounds for voiding your warranty since the PSU maker/brand will blame you for wrongfully wiring up the PSU to result in an XYZ power related issue.

If you want to fabricate the wires, even shorten the wires, pick up a crimper, get the necessary pins(and the necessary number thereof) and then shorten the wires. You will need a marker to mark the wire lengths or tape and a flush wire cutter.

I'm also an advocate of doing things the right way, I've seen people go the cheapskate route and lol'ing, only to have others lol at them for their mishap.
We highly recommend against doing this as there are many issues, such as if you do mix even a single cable up it can cause a ton of issues.

That said, yes soldering can add in some resistance which could affect voltages. If done properly it should be negligible. However if done improperly it could cause dry solder joints which could cause quite a bit of resistance to be added.

You would be better off just buying cables from CableMod.

Lutfij

Titan
Fabricating the wires is a better idea.

Also, you should know that tampering with the stock wires are grounds for voiding your warranty since the PSU maker/brand will blame you for wrongfully wiring up the PSU to result in an XYZ power related issue.

If you want to fabricate the wires, even shorten the wires, pick up a crimper, get the necessary pins(and the necessary number thereof) and then shorten the wires. You will need a marker to mark the wire lengths or tape and a flush wire cutter.

I'm also an advocate of doing things the right way, I've seen people go the cheapskate route and lol'ing, only to have others lol at them for their mishap.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution