[SOLVED] DIY silencing HDD sounds?

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
I recently bought a WD Black 4tb and it makes this obnoxious thump every 5 seconds which is apparently normal and caused by the " Preventative Wear Leveling" feature..
I can hear this Tell Tale Heart sound through my sound dampening case, which is like 5 ft from me. I opened the computer and pulled out the drive and set it externally on some
memory foam and started it up and didn't hear a peep even with it exposed and closer to me so it is definitely reverberating through the case.

Any DIY remedies for vibrational noise that will fit in a standard drive cage?

Solution
You might check SilentPCReview for some ideas if the standard mounting options are not adequate. The "Silent Storage" section of their forums has some pinned threads providing suggestions for quieting hard drives, like this one...

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8240

Something like elastic suspension might work well, but you would want to use an elastic that won't degrade over time. A lot of suggestions were to suspend drives in 5.25" bays, though those are becoming less common in cases these days. You might have to get creative for something like that. They also suggested the option of placing the drive on foam on the floor of the case, though if a drive isn't securely mounted, you would want to make...

Lutfij

Titan
What is the make and model of your chassis? You could get some rubber/silicone washers that should go between the screws for the caddy and the HDD. In fact if you're creative, you could have the memory foam around the mounting locations for the HDD and the caddy, to dampen the noise.

_dawn_chorus_

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
What is the make and model of your chassis? You could get some rubber/silicone washers that should go between the screws for the caddy and the HDD. In fact if you're creative, you could have the memory foam around the mounting locations for the HDD and the caddy, to dampen the noise.

Its a phanteks P400s from 2017. I saw some screws with silicone around them but couldn't tell if they would help. The caddy only has 2 screws toward the rear, then those pop in place arms that have some little silicone gromets. Here are 2 images

View: https://imgur.com/a/D4pr3S6

It is kind of a tight space. Not sure if I could fit anything between the caddy and the rails.

You might check SilentPCReview for some ideas if the standard mounting options are not adequate. The "Silent Storage" section of their forums has some pinned threads providing suggestions for quieting hard drives, like this one...

https://silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8240

Something like elastic suspension might work well, but you would want to use an elastic that won't degrade over time. A lot of suggestions were to suspend drives in 5.25" bays, though those are becoming less common in cases these days. You might have to get creative for something like that. They also suggested the option of placing the drive on foam on the floor of the case, though if a drive isn't securely mounted, you would want to make sure that it's properly secured before moving the system around.

Note that the site has been rather quiet in recent years though, so you might not get a timely response when posting there.

Solution