News DIYer Turns Chunky PS5 Into a 2cm Watercooled PS5 Slim

Giroro

Splendid
The entire idea that this mod is smaller than the original is complete and blatant lie. More mass, more volume, less convenient configuration.
But what can you expect from YouTube, where every single video is just a clickbait lie that is sociopathically engineered to trick you into watching ads.

Preroll and postroll ads between videos with an ad-read, multiple ad breaks, overlay ads, sponsored video links, patreon, e-begging, "super chat/thanks" "tip jars" where youtube keeps 30% of a "donation" for the high-effort task of changing the font color. The real kicker is that on top of all of that, most content just ends up being infomercial level shilling for affiliate link pennies. The entire platform is artless cooperate nepotism. Using fantasy to con people into free labor and taking advantage of their talent. It's wrecking the culture while causing real harm to both viewers and creators alike.

Say what you will about Hollywood toxicity, at least their actors get paid a decent salary and union benefits - all without having to also fund, write, produce, direct, record, edit, promote, and distribute an entire original show on a weekly/daily cadence.
It makes my skin crawl.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
I felt the article was kind of a click bait and blatant lie.

The focus was on the size of youtuber's PS5 (with dimensions) but it failed to mention the size of the "external module". It wasn't even shown in the article, I had to click on the video in order to see it. Upon seeing the radiator and PSU, I was like: "that looks kind of huge!"

PS5 is bigger only because Sony housed the cooling and PSU all into 1 box, along with the plastic. You cant expect a product to have external water tubes and separate cooling module.

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
A better way of reporting this would be to showcase how the YouTuber construct an external cooling and power supply module (which could be hidden away) and hence all that's visible on your tv console is a nice slim box.

I am not sure if it's is the first water cooled PS5. If so, then this is the highlight of the article. The size is a bonus.

The takeaway I get from this is that the dude was able to get two PS5s to destroy attempt whereas I've been trying to get one for a year and a half and still can't find one in normal retail stock and price. I'm at a loss as to why we still can't get an MSRP PS5 yet we have full access now to GPUs and the Xbox Series X, both of which last holiday season were still nowhere to be found, but now are readily available at original MSRP (or in the case of GPUs and the crashed cryptocurrency market, under MSRP).

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Except it can be hidden unlike the device itself?

Who said the device cannot be hidden? You can also place the mainboard right beside the power supply/radiaor enclosure. Then there will be absolutely nothing on the table.

If you are talking about the cables, well, its also possible to DIY an enclsoure that contains just the connectors, 1set of input (from PS5) and 1 set of outputs (to TV etc..), passthrough connectors. IT will be the smallest "PS5" in the world. You can even go wireless for HDMI (wireless power is also possible).

There are no rlues saying what must be on the table and whats in the hidden enclosure.

Reactions: LuxZg
That was a very fun watch. I love how he just cracks on with building what he needs in order to get it done. It may not be practical for the average user, but that was never the point. For the intended purposes, it is perfect: it looks great and it cools the PS5 like it should. Can it be improved from the practicality stand point? Absolutely. You can keep the original casing and maybe add water cooling to it with an external small pump and make it hybrid and keep most of the same cooling proficiency and make it a tad bigger only. I can absolutely see a proper SteamPunk version using the same principles and a single unit that is, maybe, just slightly bigger than the original console dimensions.

Overall, this is a magnificent display of skill and finesse to a piece of work no one thought they needed before. It does look amazing and that cannot be denied. Even taking into account the big bar with the power brick and radiator+pump.

Regards.