Question DL speed being throttled, possibly by windows 10?

Jun 29, 2019
Dell Inspiron 5559 Signature Laptop
XB6 Gateway (Shaw, Canada)
Asus AC1200 AC53 Nano
Shaw 600 Internet
5GHZ connection

Okay so in May I upgraded to the Shaw 600 plan. This came with a new modem the XB6 Gateway. Ever since I switched, my laptop has a dl speed of no more than 6 megabits/s but my upload is 19 megabits/s. I have an intel 3600 dualband adapter in the laptop, I've read that they are awful so last week I picked up the Asus AC53. My speed has not changed.

So there are two things that are completely weird to me and I've never seen before. If I set up my Asus ACU68 Router my speed goes up to about 134/s, but since I use my laptop in the basement it's been dropping my connection for some reason. The XB6 keeps me rock solid at 865mbps and full bars, but obviously the speed is awful.

The other thing I tried is sharing my wifi connection with my Note 9, which is connected to the XB6, and share it with my laptop. The laptop speed goes up to about 120/s. But this method is far from reliable nor ideal. Previously with my Hitron modem, hooked up to the ACU68 I would get about 200/s.

I've tried running TCP analyzer, I've searched out methods to see if Windows 10 is the one throttling it and tried some of the work arounds. Nothing has worked. I had the Shaw tech out today, we checked the lines, reset the modem. My phone connects at almost 400/s and everything else runs fine. It's just this damn laptop that I can't get up to speed.

I wouldn't have an issue using the ACU68 if it wasn't dropping my connection so much. I've tried moving the XB6 to the basement, but it won't even pull a signal from my ISP in the basement. So ideally I'd like to figure out what is throttling my speed on this laptop and this laptop only. I've never dealt with this before and I can't find anyone who can help me figure it out.

EDIT: I should mention that it does this even when the laptop is right beside the XB6 gateway

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2019
Your old router had adjustable antennas. Your xb6 does not, right? The wireless signal probably propagates horizontally and you are beneath it. Lay the xb6 on it’s side and see what happens.

Jun 29, 2019
Your old router had adjustable antennas. Your xb6 does not, right? The wireless signal probably propagates horizontally and you are beneath it. Lay the xb6 on it’s side and see what happens.
[/QU

Sorry I should be more specific. This speed issue happens when I'm right beside the router. I'll try turning it on it's side. But it happens in the same room.

Jun 29, 2019
It's not Windows 10.

It is a combination of WiFi, being in the basement, and "Asus AC1200 AC53 Nano "
Those tiny nano things are horrible. There's only so much antenna you can cram into that tiny space.

It happens when I'm right beside the gateway itself. If I run a speed test it zooms to about 7 or 8 and then throttles back down to 6. It also does it when using my built in wireless adapter as well. So it feels like something more than a signal issue.

Jun 28, 2019
It happens when I'm right beside the gateway itself. If I run a speed test it zooms to about 7 or 8 and then throttles back down to 6. It also does it when using my built in wireless adapter as well. So it feels like something more than a signal issue.
Use a cat 5e cable and plug directly into the router and turn off your laptop WiFi. What’s your speed now?

Jun 29, 2019
If either your computer or WiFi router is limited to Fast Ethernet and not Gigabit then 110 Mb/s is about right. I'd say the problem is with your WiFi adapter.

Ok, so I took the wifi adapter and plugged it into my wife's laptop. She got 130/s down and 20/s up. So doesn't that mean that some setting in my laptop is throttling it? It doesn't make sense.