DL380, internal RAID: Mirror disks questions

Hello,

I have a Compaq-DL380 server with two disks configured in mirror (using the
internal RAID controller). I wanted to upgrade the system, so I powered it
down, pulled one of the disks out (so I ahve backup of the old system) and then
did the upgrade. I had problems with the upgrade and decided to return to the
old version. Again, I've powered-off the machine, pulled the disk out and
inserted the other disk in; the RAID controller refused to make it active; I
moved the old disk to the bay of the other disk - this time it claimed the disk
is in the incorect slot.

The bottom line - I had to reinstall the system from scratch... What is the
correct procedure to go back to the previous version using the disk which was
out from the box?

Thanks! __Yehavi:

Yehavi Bourvine (58-4279) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a Compaq-DL380 server with two disks configured in mirror (using the
> internal RAID controller). I wanted to upgrade the system, so I powered it
> down, pulled one of the disks out (so I ahve backup of the old system) and then
> did the upgrade. I had problems with the upgrade and decided to return to the
> old version. Again, I've powered-off the machine, pulled the disk out and
> inserted the other disk in; the RAID controller refused to make it active; I
> moved the old disk to the bay of the other disk - this time it claimed the disk
> is in the incorect slot.
>
> The bottom line - I had to reinstall the system from scratch... What is the
> correct procedure to go back to the previous version using the disk which was
> out from the box?

First of all, There is a limited number of times a disk can be inserted and/or
removed. By head, after about 32 times, you loos any waranty. We have lost disks
this way, due to worn-out/broken connectors.

Our procedure is roughly:

- shutdown (and poweroff) the system
- remove disk 1
- boot (poweron) the system
- update or whatever

After success:
- on running system (NO shutdown, NO poweroff)
- insert disk 1
- see disk 1 rebuild

After problems (fall back to saved mirror)
- shutdown (and poweroff) the system
- remove disk 0
- insert disk 1
- boot (poweron) the system
- see the saved system boot
- insert disk 0
- see disk 0 rebuild
- only repeat after rebuild is finished!

CBee

TRENDING THREADS