DLink 624 Problems

Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
experienced these problems:

1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.

2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
dispute their claim.

3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
under warranty for one year.

4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.

Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
another power supply. Big of them!!!

I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
problems, but I've not had any problems that they had to resolve. I
don't know how they respond to customer problems.

bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
to send me a message.

Bill Burlingame

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 15:49:24 -0500, William J. Burlingame
<wjburl@bs.net> wrote:

>Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
>experienced these problems:
>
>1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
>ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
>had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.
>
>2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
>mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
>dispute their claim.
>
>3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
>D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
>warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
>power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
>under warranty for one year.
>

>4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
>I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
>Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
>finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.
>

>Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
>another power supply. Big of them!!!
>

>I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
Linksys

"William J. Burlingame" <wjburl@bs.net> wrote in message
> Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
> experienced these problems:
>
> 1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
> ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
> had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.
>
> 2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
> mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
> dispute their claim.
>
> 3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
> D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
> warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
> power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
> under warranty for one year.
>

> 4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
> I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
> Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
> finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.
>

> Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
> another power supply. Big of them!!!
>

> I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
> problems, but I've not had any problems that they had to resolve. I
> don't know how they respond to customer problems.

> bs has been included as part of my e-mail address to reduce the
> amount of spam mail. Change the 'bs'in my address to 'bellsouth'
> to send me a message.
>
> Bill Burlingame

You might solve the problem of the 3Com Gigabit controller (which I presume
is a 10/100/1000 Mbps NIC) by setting the device properties to force the
speed to 100 Mbps instead of allowing autonegotiation to choose a speed.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

>You might solve the problem of the 3Com Gigabit controller (which I presume
>is a 10/100/1000 Mbps NIC) by setting the device properties to force the
>speed to 100 Mbps instead of allowing autonegotiation to choose a speed.
>
>Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

Thanks for the info. I'll give that a try. Seems that the tech
support at D-Link would have made that suggestion. I've read other
posts from users who have experienced the same problem, but yours is
the first I've read to provide a possible work around.

<wjburl@bs.net> wrote:

>Five months ago I bought a D-Link 624 wireless router and have
>experienced these problems:
>
>1. The router wouldn't work with the 3COM Gigabit controller on my
>ASUS motherboard. Hard to say who to blame with this problem, but I
>had to buy another D-Link card to make it work.

Sounds like NWAY negotiation failure. The DI-624 has no provision for
fixing the speed of the ethernet ports, so you'll have to do it on the
Asus side. If you're running Windoze, dive into the:
Control Panel -> Network -> 3Com ethernet -> Properties
and dig through the multitude of settings for where you can set the
ethernet speed and protocol to something immoveable. The router
should follow. I suggest 10baseT Half-Duplex for a start to make
absolutely sure it works. Then go to 100baseTX half-duplex. If that
works, you can try full duplex, but I don't think (not sure) that the
DI-624 supports full duplex.

>2. I was cheated out of my mail-in rebate. Of course you have to
>mail in the original paperwork, so you don't have much of a way to
>dispute their claim.

You're suppose to keep a copy. However, I've found that does no good.
I've called various rebate laundries with complaints of getting
rejected for specious reasons. I have a large pile of rejected
rebates including some from D-Link. D-Link uses:
http://www.rebateshq.com
I have 3ea D-Link rejection forms. Only one was bogus and it wasn't
really D-Link's fault. TigerDirect was advertising and selling D-Link
products AFTER the D-Link rebate "offer" had expired. $20 down the
drain thanks to not noticeing the ripoff. I phoned TigerDirect and
they promised to "fix" the problem. That was 4 weeks ago and nothing.
The remaining two rejections were my fault, for waiting too long to
apply for their "offer" and for mailing them the wrong receipt.

Looking through my deposit record, I've successfully received 12
rebates from D-Link for a total of $180.

>3. Today the external power supply failed. I got a message from
>D-Link that said that the power supply wasn't covered under the
>warranty. I have read the documentation online and it states that the
>power supply is excluded from the three year warranty, but IS covered
>under warranty for one year.

I sell quite a bit of D-Link hardware. I've had perhaps one or
possibly two wall wart failures in the last 5 years or so. The
current model wall warts are all switching power supplies. These run
very cool and seem to last much longer than the older wall warts with
the big transformers that get hot, cook, and die. I've had far more
failures of Netgear 5V 3A power supplies, but that was several years
ago. The scarey part is that I've never had to send anything back
under warranty to D-Link. I didn't know the wall wart was only 1
year. Ugh.

>4. It won't work with the built in wireless adapter on a tablet PC.
>I haven't solved that problem yet. I hate to buy another card for the
>Tablet PC. It's just like the first problem, it becomes a pointing the
>finger contest. The dollars just keep mounting.

Which tablet PC and using 802.11b or g technology? The reason I ask
is that it's possible to set the DI-624 to "802.11g mode only". See:

http://support.dlink.com/techtool/di624/emulator/adv_perform_11g.html
In that mode, 802.11b radios can't talk to the DI-624. You can
eliminate the finger pointing exercise by dragging your cool tablet PC
(I'm jealous, I want one) to the nearest free internet cafe and trying
to connect. I helped one user deal with an initial connection and
discovered that their laptop had a very well hident wireless on/off
switch that was of course turned off. Anyway, if you expect help with
this particular problem, you might wanna supply some numbers and a
better description of the failure.

>Tech support did give me the address of a web site where I could buy
>another power supply. Big of them!!!

D-Link is not setup to sell parts directly. If they were, I'm sure
you would not appreciate their prices.

>I have used Links and Netgear products in the past with out any
>problems, but I've not had any problems that they had to resolve. I
>don't know how they respond to customer problems.

Support? Oh, that's easy:

I am tech support, and I know it all.
I anxiously wait for your latest call.
You've only to play, the game of voice mail,
I'll be there shortly, I'm working my tail.
Now tell me your problem, and what did you do?
This cannot have happened. I haven't a clue.
I may have the answer, though it's slightly late,
Just buy the next version, release, or update.
Next, tell me your problem, no matter how small,
I am tech support, and I know it all...

# jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

I wasn't trying to get any problems solved, just venting my
frustration and letting others know about the problems with D-Link.
Actually, things are working quite well now, but it sure was
aggravating. I've replaced the power supply under my own initiative.

BTW, the tablet PC isn't mine and I don't know the details of his
system. It was a relative who had one while visiting me and I told
him he should be able to use my place as a "hot spot" while here.

I did make copies of the receipts, but I forgot the UPC code. I
generally try to avoid mail in rebate promotions. I once had a rebate
refused by Sprint because I put two in one envelope.