[SOLVED] Dlink DIR 816 No option for wireless repeater

Mar 28, 2019
I have Dlink DIR 816, the product descirption on both website and manual says it has Wifi Repeater but when i access the router main page i cant find the option to turn it on in any tabs. And the videos on Youtube are either old or using old firmware

Solution
I bet someone technically stole it from a ISP since they likely were suppose to return it. Hard to say it really depends on the actual seller since it appears that site appears to allow third party sellers. This is like some of the stolen cell phone people buy off amazon from time to time. The only reason it is not out of hand is amazon will force a refund and kick the seller off the site if the seller does not fix the problem.

Those firmware release do not make the router any cheaper to buy in builk in fact the ISP many times has to pay extra to get the special firmware. So there would be no reason for a third party vendor to not sell the standard ones since unless they were buying used equipment and so called refurbishing...
Mar 28, 2019
It is not on the main page it is in the wifi settings page. There is actually a number of things you have to configure
even on the wifi settings page i cant see it. And i got reply from Dlink saying

Solution:
The firmware 1.10 is an ISP customised firmware which does not offer an option of Wi-Fi repeater. As its ISP customised firmware it cannot be upgraded. You need to speak with your ISP regarding the same

even on the wifi settings page i cant see it. And i got reply from Dlink saying

Solution:
The firmware 1.10 is an ISP customised firmware which does not offer an option of Wi-Fi repeater. As its ISP customised firmware it cannot be upgraded. You need to speak with your ISP regarding the same

Be nice if they did not use the same part number. I did not consider ISP provided devices. I guess since they only provide the device to connect to the ISP they would see no need to use it as a repeater. I know some of the ISP rig these to prevent theft and resale of the devices since most cases the ISP lends these to the consumer they do not actually sell or give them to them.

Mar 28, 2019
Be nice if they did not use the same part number. I did not consider ISP provided devices. I guess since they only provide the device to connect to the ISP they would see no need to use it as a repeater. I know some of the ISP rig these to prevent theft and resale of the devices since most cases the ISP lends these to the consumer they do not actually sell or give them to them.
Nope its not ISP provided router. I bought it off some e-Commerce website called Flipkart in India.

I bet someone technically stole it from a ISP since they likely were suppose to return it. Hard to say it really depends on the actual seller since it appears that site appears to allow third party sellers. This is like some of the stolen cell phone people buy off amazon from time to time. The only reason it is not out of hand is amazon will force a refund and kick the seller off the site if the seller does not fix the problem.

Those firmware release do not make the router any cheaper to buy in builk in fact the ISP many times has to pay extra to get the special firmware. So there would be no reason for a third party vendor to not sell the standard ones since unless they were buying used equipment and so called refurbishing it.

You have few options. You return the device or you hope you can get lucky and force a firmware upgrade. Many times the ISP disable the ability on these special firmware images to upgrade the firmware....again to prevent theft. Not sure maybe the router has a firmware recovery mode or something built into hardware.

I strongly suspect you were ripped off by the seller.

Solution