Question Dlink DNS 323 1G network port?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, does anyone have one of those older Dlink DNS 323 NAS? it was a 100M NAS but I just check the specs of it and it says its a 1G network port. did they release a firmware update to increase it to 1G or something?

Maybe they have a different hardware revision. Ethernet speed is done in hardware using voltages etc to do the speed. It is not a software thing and you can't just upgrade firmware.
It likely doesn't matter a lot on old stuff like that the disk drives tend to be the bottleneck and many barely exceed 100mbps.

Not sure you would have to look up the transfer rates on those drives. Also you tend to not get the maximum transfer rates all the time anyway because it is really only done when you are doing large file transfers.

You might as well try it and then decide if it is good enough. Most people just use it as a backup of some kind where speed is not real important.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Not sure you would have to look up the transfer rates on those drives. Also you tend to not get the maximum transfer rates all the time anyway because it is really only done when you are doing large file transfers.

You might as well try it and then decide if it is good enough. Most people just use it as a backup of some kind where speed is not real important.
the Western Digital Red 5400rpm drive has a transfer speed of 180MB/s so that's fine. the NAS would be the bottleneck in this case.

kanewolf

Titan
Hi all, does anyone have one of those older Dlink DNS 323 NAS? it was a 100M NAS but I just check the specs of it and it says its a 1G network port. did they release a firmware update to increase it to 1G or something?
On D-Link's webpage for the DNS 323 it says "Rev A" -- https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dns-323-sharecenter-2-bay-network-storage-enclosure
It is quite possible that the gigabit NIC came in.
That is a 15+ year old device, that was underpowered when almost new. Let it die. Get a newer commercial NAS. I had one of thoes as my first NAS. I have had nothing but Synology since. Even the low end "J" Synology units will run circles around that D-Link boat anchor.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
On D-Link's webpage for the DNS 323 it says "Rev A" -- https://eu.dlink.com/uk/en/products/dns-323-sharecenter-2-bay-network-storage-enclosure
It is quite possible that the gigabit NIC came in.
That is a 15+ year old device, that was underpowered when almost new. Let it die. Get a newer commercial NAS. I had one of thoes as my first NAS. I have had nothing but Synology since. Even the low end "J" Synology units will run circles around that D-Link boat anchor.
I know. I was thinking of using it as a second backup for small files. I have a Qnap TS-653D as my main NAS.

TRENDING THREADS