DLink DWL-G510 won't autoconnect to DI-524 unless..

All:

As the subject implies, I can't get the above card (PCI) to
automatically connect (at boot) to my LAN unless I turn on SSID
broadcast, disable authentication, and turn off encryption -- not my
preferred choice.

If I turn on WEP on both ends, it will connect only manually via the
DLink config utility after I've logged in. This is not ideal, either,
as without a prior connection clients logging in can't authenticate.

XP's (Pro sp1) Wireless Zero Config won't work with this card; it says
it connects (again, automatically only if no auth/encryp), but never
sees any downstream packets - it transmits only, and generally only
negotiates a 6mbps connection - the DLink utility usually connects at
38-54mbps.

I'd like to think its possible to turn on encryption and still be able
to automatically connect at boot time...any ideas?

(Side note, I'm really just using the router as an access point -
DHCP/WAN connect not being used -= because the router was cheaper)

Thanks,
David

Try reinstalling your winsock.