velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
Hi all, I have a Dlink DNS 323 nas and I just bought two 2gb HDD. I want both to be the same, but not use Raid 1. I want to do it manually. So I have all my files on the first HDD. I want to insert the second HDD and copy the files from the first HDD to the second HDD. instead of doing it manually, can I configure the second HDD as a raid 1, then when its done making it the same as the first HDD, convert it to two separate HDDs (I think its called JBOD) without formatting the second HDD?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Is this a backup plan? Because RAID 1 is not a really good backup, it's for disk redundancy and these two are not really the same.

Don't those boxes come with a software that would support drive cloning? If you put your data on the first HDD and then "insert" the second one clone the first one on a second one you'd have two separate drives.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
If my data is already on the 1st HDD, then insert the 2nd HDD and have it cloned, doesn't that mean I'm selecting Raid 1? and if I select raid 1, then both drives will be one and whatever happens to the first will happen to the second. I don't want that because once files got corrupted on one HDD and so the other got the same thing. so you're saying there is an option to clone it, but still have them configured as JBOD?

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
ok so I popped in the 2nd HDD and when I logged into the config page, it wants to format the HDD and there is a checkbox for RAID1. I put a checkmark for Raid1 and then it says it will format the hardrives. I figured they meant it will format only the 2nd hardrive, but I didn't want to take any chances. So I went back and unchecked Raid 1 and i'm just formatting the 2nd HDD alone. so I think its going to be JBOD and I"m going to have to manually copy the files from 1st to 2nd HDD.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
By the way...the 323 has a 2TB limit. (2x 1TB drives) It won't see the additional storage. Also, the processor in this is too slow to 'really' stream anything over 1080, if you are looking to do that with it. Just the same, they do a lot of backup options quite well and work really well with Android and Linux devices when set up in a way they can see.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If my data is already on the 1st HDD, then insert the 2nd HDD and have it cloned, doesn't that mean I'm selecting Raid 1? and if I select raid 1, then both drives will be one and whatever happens to the first will happen to the second. I don't want that because once files got corrupted on one HDD and so the other got the same thing. so you're saying there is an option to clone it, but still have them configured as JBOD?

No, not RAID 1, you specifically said you don't want RAID 1 in first post and yes anything happens to a drive in a RAID 1 the other one loses data too.

JBODs are usually used for spanning that is putting 2 e.g. 2TB drives end-to-end to emulate a a large 4TB drive/partition.

I meant you plug the 2nd drive, clone the first one on the 2nd (which I think might be doable with a software that comes with the box) then unplug the 2nd one and keep it somewhere safe (assuming you want this as a backup plan). Those software usually come with backup/cloning and scheduling features when set to take a backup (or sometimes even images) of the 1st drive and save it where how and where the user specifies.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
By the way...the 323 has a 2TB limit. (2x 1TB drives) It won't see the additional storage. Also, the processor in this is too slow to 'really' stream anything over 1080, if you are looking to do that with it. Just the same, they do a lot of backup options quite well and work really well with Android and Linux devices when set up in a way they can see.

I have two 2TB hardrives and it sees both. Yes I am using it to stream 4k movies. it streams just fine. i'm not using the processor to do any transcoding. the nas is just storing the files.

No, not RAID 1, you specifically said you don't want RAID 1 in first post and yes anything happens to a drive in a RAID 1 the other one loses data too.

JBODs are usually used for spanning that is putting 2 e.g. 2TB drives end-to-end to emulate a a large 4TB drive/partition.

I meant you plug the 2nd drive, clone the first one on the 2nd (which I think might be doable with a software that comes with the box) then unplug the 2nd one and keep it somewhere safe (assuming you want this as a backup plan). Those software usually come with backup/cloning and scheduling features when set to take a backup (or sometimes even images) of the 1st drive and save it where how and where the user specifies.

i bought this from someone I know and didn't get any software. I should download it and check it out. is the software still available?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have two 2TB hardrives and it sees both. Yes I am using it to stream 4k movies. it streams just fine. i'm not using the processor to do any transcoding. the nas is just storing the files.

I am guessing that I must have had an older version or they did some revision of the firmware. I loved the one I had but it's shortcomings became too much to overcome in later years. I retired mine just a few months back.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador

i bought this from someone I know and didn't get any software. I should download it and check it out. is the software still available?

Whether the software is available and it does what you need is something you should check on the manufacturer's website or ask them.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
I went to their site under downloads for this product and I don't see software for this. I only see the following. Is this all there is?